Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 'FIREARMS INSPECTION' - Specs?
 Login/Join

posted
G'day guys, I'm still a newbie to this whole shooting scene. Been shooting for about 8 months now and it rocks!!! I have a small collection compared to some (probably most of you ). At last count 3 rifles ( .223 remington BDL .308 BRNO and an old 1927 lithgow .303) and 1 SXS shotgun (stevens, polished.... man that took some work) and three more shottys to come ( stevens single barrel 16g, 20g and a mosberg bolt action 12g). They're multiplying rapidly! lol. It seems to be pick one up and buy another Anyway does anyone know the actual specs that the firearms department uses to determine whether or not firearms are securely locked up? I have my collection in a galvanized steel tool box (internally screwed to the floor) at the moment, with double master padlocks and the ammo n bolts are kept in a digital keylock safe.

The last thing i want is for the boys to come knockin and take all my toys because i don't meet current specs

Posts: 10 | Location: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about SA laws your best bet would be get to a SSAA range and ask some people or see if the police have any info sheets on firearms storage (if you are worried about it you don't have to tell them who you are) take good care of that 1927 lithgow rifles from the 20-30's are generally the best made Lee Enfields from anywhere and some of the harder to find rifles Lithgow didn't make many rifles in the period

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1927-1928 only 3200 were made,nice catch.HTH

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Mate I suggest you invest in a proper gunsafe OR if you are able to, make your own. The specs to make one are available from your firearms registry. With a proper safe you'll have no doubts and no worries.

Now SA laws should be similar to the NT's. Your Safe should be made from 3mm steel as a min, internal jimmyproof hinges and a locking system. Ross locks are good. Nitro can give you a more up to date run down, he's a South Aussie.

Posts: 8029 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the SSAA Website for SA
http://www.users.senet.com.au/~ssaa-sa/firearm_laws.htm

http://www.ssaa.org.au/safestorage.pdf

Also wouldn't hurt to head over to the closest range ask speak to one of the staff there. They should be able to offer some sound advise. Then take what you have read from the SSAA and what you have heard from the range, and you should be able to work out what you need.

My advise (FWIW) is to get the biggest and most solidly built safe you can afford. Plenty of room for your growing collection and the knowledge that your gear is safe. Remember Dynabolts are your friends.

Feral_Goz

Posts: 56 | Location: Australia NSW | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cheers for your input guys. Hmmmm I think ill break out the welder. After searching round on the net and a bit of a brain storm I reckon I can build a bigger, nastier safe than any of the ones i've seen for about the same money. Afterall the aim is to keep the cops happy and keep the crooks out

P.S Cheers for the info on the .303. I thought they were common as all hell.

Posts: 10 | Location: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Afterall the aim is to keep the cops happy and keep the crooks out

The AIM is to keep the cops happy, and keep HONEST people out! Crooks will do what they like anyway

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote