THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX on Red Hind (short video clip)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of steve_s
posted
Hi guys, havent been here for a while. Have been using Barnes 120gn TSX in the 7MM 08 with devastating effect, gotta love em.

On this hunt I saw a number of deer on public land and took two for meat. The camera was on a tripod and captures the first shot, muggins forgot to move the camera. In the video clip in the bottom left corner you can see the yearling fall (just) after the shot.

Shot was close, around the 100-120yd mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5823tVJtMFE

Posts: 77 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 06 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Steve,

I knew you Nelson lot just have too much money to be wasting it buying those expensive mono metals. A coreloct would have done the same thing. jumping

All joking aside its good to see some can still afford the diesel to still get out there and do it. Good going mate and keep it up.

I am going to have to take the video camera out and try and do the same thing.

You have a good supply of meat for the winter mate.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_s
posted Hide Post
It would be a sad day if the price of Diesel stopped me going hunting!! I would give up a few things first thats for sure. Big Grin

Posts: 77 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 06 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Steve,

Yep I'm with ya there but now it takes a bit of planning as it cost a hundred bucks for diesel just to go to Kaikoura and back last week in the Landcruiser.

I am going to get a pushbike for tripping around town to save the fuel for hunting. It might get rid of a few extra kilos I'm carrying since I gave up smoking three years ago.

The cost of the projectiles is small change compared to getting to where you hunt but I still think a TSX is a little much for use on goats and pigs for which I prefer corelocts, hotcores or ballistic tips. Same for wallabies1

Have you had a good year on the reds?

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_s
posted Hide Post
I know what youre saying, I dont waste them on goats and pigs, they get the budget 55gn hornadys from my .223

Has been an awesome year for red deer

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, how do you find the TSXs pressure wise, more or less for the same weight compared to conventional bullets? I'm keen to try some 150gr TSXs in my P14 303 & wonder where to head for a start load compared to the 150 gr Hornadys I've been using.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_s
posted Hide Post
The Barnes data that I was given says to start two grains lower than what normal bullets state in reloading manuals. Personally I would start at minimum and work up. Mine jump to the lands