Notify
Tools

Tahr down
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Direct report from Methven, NZ guys:

Well, we made it without a hitch -- sorta. WE did almost miss our connecting flight in Auckland but managed to make it by about 5 minutes.

Other than that everything has gone smoothly, and our guides Tim Buma & Brad are super guys. We've had a good rapport with them so far. Lodge is nice and quite homey with good food.

Shot a very nice tahr yesterday that measureed a hair under 12" and it has a beautiful long, light-colored mane. Got lots of good photos too. Might try to get a couple up in the next day or two. My hunting partner, Troy, also shot a good one.

The helicopter flight was a real adventure.

Country is here is spectacular! We spent last night in a hut in a beautiful valley within 1/2 mile of where the Lord of the Rings was filmed.

Tomorrow we're going after a red stag not too far from the lodge. I'll try to make another report later in the week and maybe get photos up. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Jesus that was quick, well done Tony can't wait for the pics.

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
To all for now:

Everything has been super here. One of the more enjoyable hunts I've been on, and we've been really lucky with the weather so far. Only had one morning with a few rain sprinkles.

Yesterday we hunted some smaller stuff. Troy and I both shot two NZ bronze turkeys and then we went after wallabys just before dark when they come out to feed. Gotta be quick to put a bullet in them.

Today, Troy and Brad are up climbing in the mountains after a chamois, and Tim and I will be chasing a feral Merino ram later today. We spotted him the other day when glassing for chamois.

We'll probably do a bit of brown trout fishing tomorrow to close out the week and then it's the long trip back home on Sunday.

Later, mates. -TONY

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To all for now:

Everything has been super here. One of the more enjoyable hunts I've been on, and we've been really lucky with the weather so far. Only had one morning with a few rain sprinkles.

Yesterday we hunted some smaller stuff. Troy and I both shot two NZ bronze turkeys and then we went after wallabys just before dark when they come out to feed. Gotta be quick to put a bullet in them.

Today, Troy and Brad are up climbing in the mountains after a chamois, and Tim and I will be chasing a feral Merino ram later today. We spotted him the other day when glassing for chamois.

We'll probably do a bit of brown trout fishing tomorrow to close out the week and then it's the long trip back home on Sunday.

Later, mates. -TONY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Nice trophy. Nice to see such a fine picture... nice cape and mane!! glad your weather was nice, and you sure piled a ton of things into one week!!
congratulations on your hunt. looking forward to the pictures of the stag turkey chamois et al.

jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nice Tahr Tony. One of the best, most demandinghunts you'll ever have is a free range Tahr, no helicopter. I busted my but for three days up & down the mountain & passed on several bulls, looking for that great cape like your, and shot one on the 3rd day when we were just going to take it easy & glass the mountain for an approach the following day. I love Alpine hunting, it makes me want to go for my RM goat before I get too old to hump the hill.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well we're all packed and will be heading to the airport in a few hours after one of the more enjoyable hunts I've had over the years.

Yesterday we went duck/goose hunting and had a great time, especially since we also lucked into some chamois in the nearby hills. Though none were exceptional, killed two decent bucks.

More when I return tomorrow. -TONY

one of us
posted Hide Post
"lucked into chamois"....you sound like a regular Selous or Baker "shot an elephant after lunch, decent ivory" sounds like an action-packed trip

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boghossian,

Hey, the "lucked" into was the best way to describe it.

We were at a lake in a valley hunting ducks and geese and decided to take a break back at the vehicle. So while we were there, we started glassing the surrounding mountains and spotted two different groups of chamois. The one we went after was the lowest and had seven of them, with a couple of good bucks. It was a great way to end a memorable six-day hunt. I'll post a photo of it in the Outdoor Writer's NZ Hunt Pix thread. -TONY