Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

one of my best days as a 'dad'
 Login/Join

posted
My wife has always had the dirts over how close my boy and I are. He is 7yr old and loves fishing and camping. He helps me reload and clean my firearms. He has his own BB gun which we practice with in the back yard. He has learnt all the rules of gun safety and has to recite them back to me before we use his BB.

He absolutely hates it when dad packs up to go hunting or to the range. He has been bugging me for ages to come hunting with me.

I organised a sunday afternoon, my first weekend off in three months, the weather was terrible, blowing a gale, sleet and freezing cold. The hill was steep and slippery and the bunnies would only poke their heads up at 70+ yards.

It took two hours before a shot presented itself. I had the worst case of buck fever I have ever experienced, I was shaking and breathing heavily. How did my boy go?
See for yourself below.

He took 5 bunnies that day with the longest shot about 55 yards off the bipod. He had the best time and whilst I hardly took a shot It was the best hunt Ive ever had. I was, and continue to be, so proud of my boy. He is now asking every day when the next hunt will be and when he can get his own 22. He has started saving his pocket money already. Guess I'll have to organise another PTA and start looking for another rifle. That will make the wife SOOO happy.

Thanks for letting me share my story

chappo555

only accurate rifles are interesting

Posts: 4 | Location: middle of nowhere Australia | Registered: 18 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shit. This is what it's all about.

Happy hunting

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done,now theres one young man thats not going to be hanging around the streets, and getting in trouble.

Posts: 4242 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chappo555:
That will make the wife SOOO happy.
chappo555

Mate, I know JUST where you're coming from. Thats a cool pic & cool story. Oldest boy (13) says to me the other day. Dad, will you take me deer stalking? Heart does a back flip YES I says. I will. Time to get A into G before before Mum realises that her little boy is nearly a man. Smiler
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
Start them young on the right road, good to see the young fella enjoys it, have been taking my young bloke out since he was about 7-8 he's now 18

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are doing the right thing with your boy. Maybe now all you have to do is to get Mama interested and all go out as a family-just a thought.

I have some great memories like that of my kids. My daughter got to show off to her boyfriend how she can operate a bolt action .30-06. I load up light cast loads and she's been shooting since she was 8 y.o. My son is the same. I have a fond mental picture of his Batman Action Figure lying on the bench next to the rifles.

I trust those kids (now in their 20's) to be safe because I taught them just like my Dad taught me. That's the way it goes.

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Awesome story! My kids get pretty into hunting and camping too. This winter my little girl turns six and should be ready for her first BB gun.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
Great report thanks, Your boy will only get better from here on.
I took my daughter goldmining last summer we backpacked in to some goat and chamois country. She hunted for our camp that week. Fully suppressed A bolt 243
She still holds the open title for best shot in the local shooting club with a .22

The gold was there too !

Going back this summer again

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chappo,

great stuff... I taught my young bloke how to shoot at about the same age, taught him how to butcher and cook the animals he'd taken, and in the ten years since, we've shared a lot of hunting trips, collected a heap of skins, and a few reasonable sized sets of horns and antlers.

Had a few total farkups as well - but we joke about them....

Since then, his mother and I divorced, and when it came to the crunch, he chose to live with me.

He and I have a bond that other fathers admire (and I suspect envy) - he's a great target shooter as well, and while we have our differences at times, we still have that bond.

Hard to describe, but the buzz you got won't diminish... clap

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shinzo:
Mate, I know JUST where you're coming from. Thats a cool pic & cool story. Oldest boy (13) says to me the other day. Dad, will you take me deer stalking? Heart does a back flip YES I says. I will. Time to get A into G before before Mum realises that her little boy is nearly a man. Smiler
Steve

I have the opposite problem, my boy has been onto me to take him to Fiordland since he was five, but as you know that's no place for kid's.
He's eight now and comes out after rabbits and pig's with the odd deer hunt locally.

Happy hunting

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wirehunt:
I have the opposite problem, my boy has been onto me to take him to Fiordland since he was five, but as you know that's no place for kid's.
He's eight now and comes out after rabbits and pig's with the odd deer hunt locally.

Hey, his hearts in the right place though, just needs to learn to temper his ambition slightly Big Grin
Sounds like hes got it pretty good.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, brother. I've had the good fortune to experience the same type of activity with my son - he's now 15, and the good stuff continues...

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulation, guys, I think I know how you feel!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I bought a 410 over under before my daughter was born, and I had always hoped that she would take an interest in hunting. Well that never happened, but there is still hope, as she is only ten.

If I end up getting married again, and we have another kid, hopefully I can steer that one along the hunting trail.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Its pretty cool when they get their first deer - or rabbit or whatever

Heres my son and heir with his first fallow at Anzac weekend this year

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great wok Chappo!! thumb

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
I bought a 410 over under before my daughter was born, and I had always hoped that she would take an interest in hunting. Well that never happened, but there is still hope, as she is only ten.

If I end up getting married again, and we have another kid, hopefully I can steer that one along the hunting trail.

D99 !

I saw those numbers today on the bow of a ship that turned up next to my DSV in Trinidad was that you ?

One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weathered:
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

D99 !

I saw those numbers today on the bow of a ship that turned up next to my DSV in port.
Was that you ? Seemed a good party going when we slipped and left the berth