New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for SMLE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone supply loads for a SMLE No4 Mk2 in 303B using 150 Gn taipans and ADI powders?
Anything for a SMLE No4 Mk1 in .308 using 147 FMJ, 150 Taipan and 155 Sierra Palma again with ADI powders.
Thanks in advance.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can download the ADI Handloaders Guide, or look up loads, here. Or pick up a hard copy for a few dollars [yes folks, no longer free] in your gunshop.

Probably best to stick to 'starting' loads, for .308 in a No.4 Mk1. It's not the strongest of actions, and will be hard on brass, being rear-locking. All of those bullets are very close to 150 grains, so use that data.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Just remember that ADI do not test the loads that they feature in their reloading manual and the data is all 'donated' data (i.e. it all comes from reloaders just like you and I) - so use ADI data with extra caution.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
so use ADI data with extra caution.

As the Adi loading data states reduce loads by 10%.Then increaseby 3% at a time and you shouldent go wrong

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaBob:
Just remember that ADI do not test the loads that they feature in their reloading manual and the data is all 'donated' data (i.e. it all comes from reloaders just like you and I) - so use ADI data with extra caution.

Decidedly not so. Ask anyone who's actually contacted them direct, for data that's not in their manual. Legal liability issues alone would prevent their doing so [disclaimers notwithstanding]. In fact they tend to be excessively conservative, in many cases. Compare their charge ranges with Nick Harvey's, for the higher performance stuff.

They do have a tendency to publish data developed by Hodgdon in the US [who sell all of the current ADI commercial propellant lines, under their own designations], especially for the more obscure cartridges.

This is due purely to economic factors - cost of pressure barrels for each cartridge, plus time involved in loading and test firing. Their onsite range can handle test ammo up to 20mm - thus all of the calibres we're likely to load!

But as d-o-k says, always start low and work up. Good practice pays. No stuck shells, wrecked brass [or worse], and makes dismantling of rounds rare....

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
42 gns 2206 will give you close to original trajectories and backsight graduations as well as being surefire stoppers on game. ADI manual loads are conservative.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be for the 308?
thanks
rob

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
many thanks!
rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robz For the .303 try a starting load of 38gn of BM2 behind 150 gn slug (39.5) works a treat in my #3 SMLE

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gadge:
quote:

Decidedly not so. Ask anyone who's actually contacted them direct, for data that's not in their manual. Legal liability issues alone would prevent their doing so [disclaimers notwithstanding]. In fact they tend to be excessively conservative, in many cases. Compare their charge ranges with Nick Harvey's, for the higher performance stuff.

They do have a tendency to publish data developed by Hodgdon in the US [who sell all of the current ADI commercial propellant lines, under their own designations], especially for the more obscure cartridges.

This is due purely to economic factors - cost of pressure barrels for each cartridge, plus time involved in loading and test firing. Their onsite range can handle test ammo up to 20mm - thus all of the calibres we're likely to load!

But as d-o-k says, always start low and work up. Good practice pays. No stuck shells, wrecked brass [or worse], and makes dismantling of rounds rare....

Gadge,

In my previous life as a RAAF staff officer, with responsibilities in regards to RAAF weapons, I had many dealings with Darryl Page of ADI (His photo appears inside the cover of some of their reloading manuals) and Darryl told me, without any doubt, that most of their reloading data was donated by ordinary shooters. Darryl even asked me if I had any data to provide for them, so my original comment stands - use the data with caution. I am not saying that the data is no good, just that you need to be aware of the source and apply appropriate corrections to your starting loads.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gadge,

In my previous life as a RAAF staff officer, with responsibilities in regards to RAAF weapons, I had many dealings with Darryl Page of ADI (His photo appears inside the cover of some of their reloading manuals) and Darryl told me, without any doubt, that most of their reloading data was donated by ordinary shooters. Darryl even asked me if I had any data to provide for them, so my original comment stands - use the data with caution. I am not saying that the data is no good, just that you need to be aware of the source and apply appropriate corrections to your starting loads.

Bob,
Fair enough that donated data would be their starting point, especially for the less common stuff, in rifle calibres.

But I'd expect them to be gradually moving to their own tested data - I went all the way through the interview process for a product development position at ADI Mulwala back in '01, and this sort of testwork was definitely a significant part of that job. But it takes time to work through the list of cartridges, I guess.

The data I've had direct from ADI has been shotgun stuff, and of course that has to be developed by using a pressure gun. And they do quote pressures for these. Not like rifle loads, that can be worked up using visible pressure indications.

An interesting sidelight here is that in ADI's latest guide, they've gone to using a 'starting'and 'maximum' loads format, with velocities for both. Not a lot of the rifle calbres give pressure data though. Looks like it's still a work in progress.

Cheers,
Doug