New
Find
Notify
Tools

G'day Mainlanders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Guys. I am new to this forum and have been enjoying it for the last week or so. I have a question, I have a Carl Gustavs 96 6.5x55 mauser 22.5" barrel and use reloads 129 gr Hornadys with 46 gr of 2209 pushing it and I use it on Bennetts Wallaby between 4 and 6 feet tall and it works really well out to 200 metres, knocks them down every time. I want to start shooting out to 350 metres what load do you reccommend.

Posts: 40 | Location: Tasmania, Australia | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G'day Ross,

Welcome to the forum,don't be afraid to jump in.Muzza does it all the time.

Bad Ass is the Service Rifle champ,he has all the good loads.

I know the Sweds like heavy projectiles.

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
2x16" guns 600lbs cordite with 1900lb HE projectile

Failing this solution, stalk closer.

Really, a genuine 350yds is a long way out to be shooting game. In all my years of shooting, the average shot would be about 140yds, with 250yds being real long and 90-100yds being the norm. Even with my 300Win Mag, I wouldn't even try to shoot wallabies that far away.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bad Ass, these are no little wallaby, I get tags to shoot Tassie Foresters, took one a month ago and got 15 kg of meat off the hind quarter. They stand 5-6 feet and are very cluey, the land is open rolling paddocks with only some dead trees for cover and they usually see me before I see them.

Posts: 40 | Location: Tasmania, Australia | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Bennetts Wallaby between 4 and 6 feet tall

A "Wallaby" that stands 6 foot tall !!!!!

Something is rotten in the State of Tasmania, I think.

I would build up some loads using a Nosler 100 grain balistic tip in the 6.5x55. If you can hit them at 350 metres it should kill them easily enough.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BAW, ROFLMAO!! Great photo, and as usual an extremely helpful suggestion - do the projectiles expand too quickly to take foxes at 1000yds for their skins?

Roo1, ignore him, eventually he'll go away.

Can't comment on the Swede - I use a 270, but as BAW mentioned, 350 yards is a looong way unless you're shooting from a real steady rest? I'm aware of the animal you're talking about, and I'd be reluctant to take a shot at that range with my rifle. Not saying that it can't be done, but range estimation and allowance for wind is likely to be more of an issue than bullet weight/style. It's just my opinion.

By the way, anyone know where Tasmania is?

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ahh the isle down under, the map that brings a smile to every Aussies' face!

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm aware of the animal you're talking about, and I'd be reluctant to take a shot at that range with

Has anyone got any links to this 'wallaby'? Never heard of one that size.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Mate try the 140gr Taipan. They are a good Aussie made bullet and are cheap to boot. Welcome to the forums.

Click here

Posts: 7974 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check this out

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/wildlife/mammals/bwallaby.html

they can grow 1.5 m Tall from the wisdom of BAW W.T.F ! thats big for a wallaby would make a nice stew.

Posts: 115 | Location: Hills of North Qld | Registered: 30 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I new you mainlanders would take the piss. Check this site out and you will see that they are real.
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/wildlife/mammals/forester.html
I'm don't know how to make a link so you'll just have to type it in.

Cheers
Rosco.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

They have relatively large ears and differ from the other two species in having hair between the nostrils and upper lip. They often make clucking sounds between themselves and give a guttural cough when alarmed.

Bugger me, its either a Yowie or a distant relative of a Kiwi!
Better get out the big stuff

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
I believe 'forester' kangaroo is another name for eastern grey roo.

bennetswallaby gets to about 30 kg i think.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had success using the 95gr vmax for greys, using win brass fed 210 primer AR 2209 49gr chrono @ 3150fps out of brno zkk. Really puts them down, and most shots stayed inside the chest ect, except for head shots of cours.

cheers 338w

Posts: 57 | Location: vic, Aust | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
1.5 metres is quite big for a wallaby. Learn something every day.

A 100 gr would do any roo OK with a chest or head shot. Or a 140 grainer. Whichever works best. Have a look at a trajectory table and see which holds up the best over the range you might shoot out. The 140 gr will have a better BC but start out slower. Good for fallow deer too. I like the 140 gr Nosler Partition for that but also the 125 grain Partition which is pretty ideal for the 6.5x55mm.

Roo1

Are these Bennetts wallabies the ones available on general permits or are they pest destruction permits?

PS I noticed the web sites under permits did not mention any thing about sporting hunting permits .

one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX
We have four different roo in Tas:
Pademelon - grow to a max of 500mm
Rufous Wallaby - to a max of 1 metre
Bennetts Wallaby - to a max of 1.5 metres
Forester - to a max of 2 metres

The first three can be shot on a $20 hunting permit which runs from mid March to mid February.
The Forester is wholly protected and under normal circumstances cannot be hunted.
I have a crop protection licence from the farm I shoot on and that allows me to spot light (which is normally illegal)
and the farmer gets tags to cull the foresters which he gives me. Another bonus is that because I have the crop protection licence I can shoot all year round which is great.
The greys (Bennetts) are mostly 1.2m tall but I would shoot at least one each time I go that is up to 1.5 m.
Thanks for the hints most of my shots are between 50 & 120 metres at night when the first three are generally shot and between 100 & 200 for the Foresters which are usually morning shots I have had good success out to the 200 with the loads I have now on all four species.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excuse me--but what is a wallaby? Is it in the kangroo family? Thanks-we don't have them in the U.S.A.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two Canoes

Good day, hows things in the US of A.
Have a look at the links in the posts above, there are photos and a short description of both. But generally Aussies call all macropods/hoppers/skippy/kangaroo/wallaby the generic name of 'roo' as per my post from earlier this morning the first three are wallaby and the forester is the only true kangaroo, even from Tasmania to the Australian mainland we have different names for them. I call the first two (pademelon and rufuos wallaby) wallaby, the third (bennetts wallaby) roo or grey and the Forester is always called a forester.

Cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the national teams; the Kangaroos who play League & the Wallabies who play Union.
No they don't stuff the ball in their pouch & hop around Tasmania

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wallace
Very good!
Lets hope the wallabies kick ass.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The "kangaroo" species have three general groups - Kangaroos, Euros or Wallaroos, and Wallabies. Generally Roos to Wallabies, largest to smallest respectively.

The large wallabies Roo1 describes would be the size of a Euro in South Australia.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Excuse me--but what is a wallaby? Is it in the kangroo family? Thanks-we don't have them in the U.S.A.

Wallabys are usually smaller than Kangaroos.HTH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Nitrox I've never seen a red necked wallaby over a metre, they must be stretching to get to 6 feet! I've worked in the forest for 30 years, yes maybe a big grey buck, but I always thought the reds were small fry.

Posts: 85 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's why we shoot Kangaroos, and Wallabies are a protected species! It's all to do with their real value!!

Ahh...the game they play in heaven!!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote