New
Find
Notify
Tools

The things kids say....
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
My two boys were out playing today and Kurt (the oldest,9)was talking cars. He was saying he was going to get this car and put that on it make it look real nice etc. Now my youngest boy Jadam (7) piped up and said "I'm going to get a car so I can get me a woman". The wife and I couldn't stop laughing. Thats my boy clap

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell Jadam that low, red ones work best.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geekay:

Katherine, Northern Territory.....nah....he needs a UTE!....

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
quote:

Katherine, Northern Territory.....nah....he needs a UTE!....

With a mattress in the back. clap

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of TheKiwi
posted Hide Post
quote:

What??? low, red women or low, red cars????

Warm barrels,
TheKiwi.

It's only funny until some poor bastard gets hurt, then it's hilarious!

Posts: 28 | Location: Canberra Australia | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up, V8 Holdens and Fords were THE cars to have. Now the kids think those little WRX's and such are cool bewildered

Kids these days Roll Eyes

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah for cheap cars! You tend to get Cheap Women!!!!!!I Know where your comming from with Kids & the little toy cars they drive these days! But with a sound system that is worth more than the Car!

A couple of years ago we had the Opera under the stars just down the track from our place The next morning we were in town & a Corvett cruised by with a Old chap driving & a very young & attractive Sheila in with him ! I wandered over to our Old Ute & said to the Missus Did you she that? Yes she replied I saw the Shelia! So put your tounge back in your head ! I replied if I had a car like that I could pull birds like that! But as I drive a old heap of shit like this the best I can do is...........Needless to say I was rather bruised & sorry for my self for several days latter!!!!!(& it cost me a doz red roses!!!!!!)

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deciple-of-keith:

A couple of years ago we had the Opera under the stars just down the track from our place

Was that the "Noah's Ark" Opera in the Outback? ie the one that got rained out.

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
dok,

Son, you must be as dense as a rock roflmao as the above post shows. And then you go and shoot by the dunnie with your bride inside. shame jump

You are right about one thing though, a guy with a bulging wallet will always draw the Shelias.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Son, you must be as dense as a rock roflmao as the above post shows. And then you go and shoot by the dunnie with your bride inside. shame jump

Mate I survived 2tours Of Nam & learnt to walk in the shadow of Death! In fact I loved it so much I married it!!!! sofa(god I hope she do'nt read this I'm getting too Old to sleep out in the cold roflmao

No Nitro This one was out at Warrens Gourge No rain but It was cold that night! Better them than me ! beer

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day All, the things kids say! BBQ with some of the missus' workmates (mostly rabid greenies!), one woman was raving about how wonderful the venison steak was, and how well it went with the wine (!) Daughter (3yrs) said "No! Da shoot Bambi!" You could have heard a pin drop! Honestly, I thought the poor bitch was going to vomit! I laughed for weeks!

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted Hide Post
I had a panel van at uni in the early seventies and it was fun. have had many cars since as well as bikes.

Just bought a new WRX as both wife and self are suffering mid life crisis after test driving many V8's (some twice the $) and it will go------!

Not quite like a ZZR1100 but still very very fast. and handle.

But I still like my Landcruiser.

Ross

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambar 9.3

Had a similar situation 7-8 yrs ago. We had a couple of guys staying with us for a couple of days they were mainland city/green types, my wife made roo lasagne. As we were eating one guy said "this is great' I said not bad for roo meat, he nearly threw up then, when my 7 year old says " I wonder if his mum (the roo) is still out there looking for him" you could have heard a pin drop then. We still laugh about it nowdays.

Two heads are better than one.

Posts: 40 | Location: Tasmania, Australia | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that hassle to well.

We have often had roo leg as the main course and been commented on the great cooking. I love cooking, BTW.

As soon as you say it isn't from an animal normally killed in a slaughter house (eh, sorry abertoir (sic)), such as a steer, sheep etc. its almost a thing that they must complain.

A couple of years ago I did a great "chicken" dish (with young corella being the chicken) and I still find it amusing that those teachers there at the time still rave over the meat!

I hope none of them take up shooting and start looking at our Boards,

beer

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreybeardBushman:
A couple of years ago I did a great "chicken" dish (with young corella being the chicken) and I still find it amusing that those teachers there at the time still rave over the meat!

Have you tried Rosella or Galah?

John H.

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
There's those Corella's again.........you're joking right?......right??

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Greybeard's menu of tasty Aussie birdlife.

Bush Chicken - the Corella

Other tasty avians.

Rainbow Lorikeet. My dog likes eating these.

Redtail Cockatoo

Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

Titled "Pale Rosella" but looks like a budgie to me Confused. Also know as Bush Quail.

Mmmmmm, bush quail (budgerigar).

Now this looks like a Rosella to me. MMMmmmm Tasty.

Click here for - Rosella BBQ Tips - try some of our delicious recipes

Galah. I shoot these over crops prior to the opening of duck season (yes it is legal to do so for crop protection). Great practice too. But why bother with duck when you can dine on galah?

Some real bush tucker.

Bush turkey

Bustard

[edited: these photos were posted as humour. The only brids that may be shot legally shown are galahs and maybe corellas under crop protection shooting.]

John H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitrox,
I had no idea that those squarking little bustards the Rosella were nice to eat. We are on the edge of Kiwifruit country where they are starting to be seen as a pest. Should I look upon the Rosy as an around the year treat?
We have the occational bit of bush Turkey in wine, that aint too bad.

Now where's that 12 bore?

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and i both eat galah regularly and its nice too. you can tell an old bird as soon as you look at them and we discard them!!

LOL
Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some summers back whilst walking past a church yard we stopped as a cortege was about to enter the church.
Our six year old daughter Frances, who was in thrall said,
"Look Mommy, they are taking Jesuses Christmas presents in early this year".

I still smile at that.

Frances was often seen, usualy in her Wellington boots and an old anorac, tagged on the the side of wedding groups whose photographs were displayed in the local newspaper.
When it came, many years later, to marry she went through a civil union.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
Nitrox,
I had no idea that those squarking little bustards the Rosella were nice to eat.

No idea, never tried one. Big Grin

In any case I would have to wait for one to die of "natural causes" because here they are totally protected.

Greybeard,

How do you cook galah?

John H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corellas are "legal" as are galahs around here if you are a grain grower or "an employee" of one. So farmers shoot them all the time.

I put them in foil, wrapped up in bacon, with mixed herbs and sliced onion. Drop of good olive oil inside the foil with the birds. Depends on which of our herbs are out, but I usually some inside the foil with the birds. we normally eat about three each. Cook at moderate heat for an hour, open foil to brown the birds and serve with roast potatos.

Beautiful. I feel hungry now.

I would never shoot any of the protected parrots as they are totally protected and the fines are steep.Plus lose of gun etc.

I only get the ones farmers have shot when I have been with them or we hjappen to shoot when helping local cerial growers.

Greybeard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day GraybeardBushman, Do you have any good recipes for emu? I have a friend up your way who has a permit for 100 of them for crop protection, seems a shame to waste them!

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I'm rather partial to top-knot pigeon stuffed with herbs and slow baisted in the oven. We had the sister-in law over and passed them off as quail which went well untill she asked where we bought them.
The young daughter replied, "Dad shot them so they wouldn't shit on the car any more"! S-I-L darn near choked and said she wasn't hungry while the hubby said, these are great and ate the rest of hers.
I reacon he got curry on the way home! thumb

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i guess you may be kidding about the emus but anyway1

we used to farm them here. i found them too oily to cook in say an oven so i reckon the only way to go is a bar-b-que where the leg is finished off over charcoal. we only ever cook the leg.

have a good day. its friday at last.

Greybeard
Cool Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day Bushman, No, not kidding. Little monster of a daughter wants to try one of the "big chickens that da shoots!". If they are oily, the BBQ sounds like a good idea, I will give it a go!
Have a good weekend, All!

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't really think it was likely you were.

I do enjoy eating many different types of food we get out in the Bush. this year, our Duck season was phenominal and we bagged out nearly every time we went out (and that was about 4 times a week). its tough when you only have to drive fifteen minutes to be amongst the birds.

Its amazing the heat you read in some of the eschanges in some on the other posts, like the "African Big game" one.

But i guess I am still very new to posting on line and following a forums threads like this.

Greybeard

Greybeard

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Corellas are "legal" as are galahs around here if you are a grain grower or "an employee" of one. So farmers shoot them all the time.

I put them in foil, wrapped up in bacon, with mixed herbs and sliced onion. Drop of good olive oil inside the foil with the birds. Depends on which of our herbs are out, but I usually some inside the foil with the birds. we normally eat about three each. Cook at moderate heat for an hour, open foil to brown the birds and serve with roast potatos.

Beautiful. I feel hungry now.

Greybeardman

If I try your recipe, are you then going to say "I was only joking"? Confused

I shoot a lot of galahs over the cereal crops and have a few dozen on my planted oats (hay) crop right now. Could put a few in the freezer.

I know from old diaries that the early settlers ate galah, rosella and all sorts of native parrots. Forget about pheasant. Razzer

John H.