New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre safari woes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Iam leaving on sunday for Africa, but without my guns,as no one told me i needed a defence permit ,if you fly a domestic flight in Australia,before a international you need one .Customs had sent me old forms which they dont use anymore ,great ! so went to customs, but know one knows anything about the procedure for sending guns overseas,but wait there is someone who might ,wait !!!!'' oh hes not here today '',typical,so they find someone else, who tells me i need the defence permit ,so i fax away application .they say it will be finished as soon as they can .so call each day and they want to know ''why are you taking so many guns with you ??''i say ''on application its states only TWO !!!!!,thats my gun my license list you are looking at, how many i own!!! ,then its a signature, a signature we need ,so wait another day for someone to sign it ,then its approved .So i call them again ,''oh yes its signed and approved, but the computer system just collapsed and we cant put permit number into customs system'' oh great!!!! so i will have to use someone elses gun ,when i went to Africa ,i wanted to use a double rifle not a bloody bolt action, anyway , better a bolt action than none at all !!! means i will just have to go back to Africa again, albeit better prepared this time

One of Us
posted Hide Post
God love the Public service (Cause nobody else who has ever had dealings with em does)Anyway Velo do'nt let. One buerocratic blunder spoil your trip !I'm sure you'll have a Ripper of a time thumbHave fun & good hunting you lucky dog thumb beer

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
You're lucky to get any permits if you have left it to the last week to get the documentation that is required.

quote:
"told me i needed a defence permit ,if you fly a domestic flight in Australia,before a international you need one ."

Velodog,

Are you leaving from Australia or from where? You don't list your location anywhere. Which state?

No such thing as a "defence permit" to my knowledge ????

I believe you need an export permit from customs and a re-import permit B709A from our Police Force in your state. For ammunition and firearms.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
You need a Defence Department and Customs OK before leaving with Australia with firearms

Steve

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WELL I GO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just been back into the city and they had it all ready for me cant believe itttt wwooooohhhhhooooo !!!!!! well its been one of those ''one thing after another things ''you know what i mean !!!!! com stop working yesterday, so they couldnt email it ,but i have it now !!! i dont think i have ever been so happy over a ''bit of paper'' well i hope everything else goes to plan .leaving from Sydney .So i will let you know how it goes ,all the people i dealt with, were extremely helpful !!! which amazed me considering how the average person feels about guns and hunting ,and went out of there way to help me!!!hopefully i will have some good photos for you when i get back, take care !

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RLI:
You need a Defence Department and Customs OK before leaving with Australia with firearms

Steve

This is the one standard customs form isn't it ie the export permit?

Or has it changed yet again recently? Roll Eyes

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote