New
Find
Notify
Tools

how did your stag/buck hunts go?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
come on guys how did they go this year? anyone managed to get a nice 12pt red or a big 8pt sika? anyone have a go at the wapiti? fallow? whitetail?

Ill post a pic of a red stag i got this year during the roar

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still a work in progress... Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
Paul from NZ,

I did OK this year. A few pics posted.

Had a good year but a lot of hard effort.

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a question to anyone that has hunted both stag in NZ and elk in the western U.S. Is the hunting style very similar, as well as the terrain?

What would a good stag hunt cost? There is a chance I may be moving to Australia next year. That is too close not to try a stag hunt.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Kensco,

Here is a link to a video of a guy on a Stag hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyNftB-JpOY&NR=1

There are a lot of other links off that one to people hunting in less cheesy style but it would give you a better idea of what you are likely to encounter. Deer Tahr Chamois etc.

You will enjoy it if you do give it a nudge. Jakarta is just next door popcorn

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_s
posted Hide Post
no no no no no no, thats not real NZ hunting, its a canned behind the wire job on a farm Frowner

Posts: 77 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 06 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Steve

You are right it is a canned hunt but it would give anyone without experience of the country an idea of the terrain likely to be encountered if you watch a few of the other videos linked.

A couple of yours are there too. Very good ones if I may say so. The idea was to show a variety so a general impression can be gained.

I don't have any experience of elk hunting in the Rockies but I would imagine it would be similar to the glass and stalk system we use here.

Brendon as with most guides offers free range stalking for wild deer as well as the canned hunts for farmed stock as shown. However if you watch the other videos of hunts for animals that don't have those grotesquely large heads you see the real deal and have a good idea of how it is.

Sorry if anyone got the impression that this is the way we the locals do it here, the idea was to show the varied terrain we hunt.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote