New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going for an armed bush walk today
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Going to check out a new area. I've got some hog deer tags on the way just in case. I'll let you know what I see.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On holiday in Victoria at present, touring around with old friends. Went to Lake Eildon yesterday. Saw that Sambar hunting is allowed there. Is it any good? Can you hire a boat and use it as a base for hunting the lower country?
Jim Richards is driving the other car. Quite sporting trying to keep up with his Porsche on the mountain roads in our little rental Toyota. Jim's Bathurst days may be over but he still drives with a certain amount of style!

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Forty years ago the Big River area there was one of the best-known sambar places, esp. for 'hound hunting'. I think the bush might be a fraction thick for stalking but I didn't mind it.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Shot plenty of sambar at Eildon,we used to hunt it all the time 40 years ago. Big River Arm via boat is best and if I`m correct the only part of the lake thats legal. I may need an update on that.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
So I'm calling it a good day. Stalking through chest high bracken and I managed to bump two sambar that were bedded down in it. Lots of sign so I'm thinking I'll be back there again. Probably camp over night.

Oh and must remember to take the snake gaiters next time. Eeker

This is the track of a goanna

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Thats the way Bakesy get out there into it.

Re Eildon/Big River Arm here`s a pic of old me with a stag I knocked one Satdy morning,way back in the early 80`s. Collectively we took some fine stags in there.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking of doing Eildon in my boat.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Well when you do I will give you some "spots"

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
tu2 Wink