Notify
Tools

Re: Drillings in OZ
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted
Karl,

I do a bit of partime work for Granite Arms, who are the Australian distributors for Merkel. To partly answer your question, the two shotgun barrels over a rifle barrel is known as the Model 96K Drilling and the two rifle barrels over a shotgun barrel is known as the Model 97MV "Double Gun Triplett".

I think that drillings are also available from Armes Chapuis, Heym and possibly Krieghoff, but I am fairly certain that the Merkel will be the most affordable. If there is anything else out there I would love to know myself as I am very interested in drillings (on a personal level) and I am amazed that there isn't more interest in them in Australia as they are a great gun to carry when you never know what will 'jump up' in front of you.

We recently bought one in 'on spec' and the boss asked me what calibre to get and I suggested two 12g over a 9.3x74R (because that is what I would buy) and it really is a beautiful gun that points just as well as a rifle as a shotgun,..... but everyone who looks at it says "wow, nice gun...... but can I have it in .222?"

So, I am obviously no judge of what calibres will sell..... and I think that the boss would like to rap me over the knuckles with it (if it wasn't such a beautiful piece). Oh well, I might just have to buy the gun myself as it would be a great addition to my two doubles (.470 and 9.3x74R)

If you need any info on the Merkels, just let me know and I'll see what I can find.

cheers,

Bob

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Karl

Doppelb�chsdrilling or Bockdrilling

Among the Double rifle Drilling's I really like the Mathelon MXD and it has better finish and fit than the Merkel. Suitable calibers for such gun is 8mm, 9,3, rifle barrels and a 20 or 16ga shoutgun barrel. The mathelon would also match the merkel in price.

I would never go for a non-rimmed caiber in break top rifle. A drilling in 222 is not an attractive gun and would not fetch a good price

Cheers

/ JOHAN

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
a 12g with 9.3x74R sounds like the perfect pig gun, with enough power for any suprise buff.

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Didn't Murry Mitchel aka Bwana Smakai hunt with a drilling? You might be able to find a second hand one cheaper.

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shaun ,under 8 lbs for the merkel.

Bob thanks for the info and would be interested if you knew prices for the above two types, especially for a 'pre used display piece' . Sorry I'll stop drooling..

Price would be the main reason they have not kicked off for mainstream Aussies and also the fact they do not appear in the classic stories the big game crew love.

Johann, I think I may have asked you this before on the forums but do you know what the other types are called -eg the 4 barrelled configuarations?

KArl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys I'm after any info on what drillings we can get in (and also for whatever they call the combo of double rifle over shotgun barrel).Pref in big bore rifle.
The merkel seems about the cheapest. Any others under 10 grand anyone know about?

Thanks,
Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote