Notify
Tools

August 18 , 40 years ago
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted
The battle of Long Tan. salute

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I watched the doco on Austar today. Missed the first half though.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7984 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God damn it!
Missed it myself ... Anyone record it ?

Posts: 109 | Location: Jabiru NT | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
those blokes had guts, hard to understand how we (aust govt) have forgoten that it even happened?????
suppose it will not be untill all the diggers are dead and gone till we recognise there bravery.
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Yes i watched it here on the History channel,those guys fought very hard.

What will become of the West,if we keep going down the road we are now.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for The banner Don thumb

Posts: 19 | Location: Australia, Victoria | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Interesting to see an item on our TV news tonight showing the role the NZ Artillery played in the battle.

Situated some 5 kms away from the battlefront the NZ gunners laid down a four-hour barrage only metres ahead of the infantrymen and effectively held/decimated the enemy ranks as they charged . Which is not to denigrate the Aussie infantrymen at all - it was a combined effort , the guys on the ground were all Aussies .

Kiwi Viet Nam vets dont get much respect officially here either , but that is slowly changing .

Anzac was alive and well back then , shame that current government policies attempt to destroy that sense of togetherness .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4461 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From "The Battle of Long Tan, by Lex McAulay.

"Time and again the accuracy of the artillery impressed the infantrymen, so that it was averred that Maury Stanley (Captain, NZ 161 Battery) must have measured the distance in front of us!"

Buy the book, boys. salute

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:

Agree without hesitation! The book is a superb account of the battle and well worth tracking down. My copy has been read and re-read a dozen times.

Hard to fathom a handful of men facing an opposing force of some 2500 well trained enemy and managing to stop them in thier tracks salute

Posts: 109 | Location: Jabiru NT | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Muzza, the forward observer with the company was a kiwi as well. He did a bloody good job in keep the rest of the company alive.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7984 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

I may be wrong but I believe the FO was Willie Walker.

I know Willie was an FO with 161 Bty in country and was awarded an MID for his efforts and courage calling down fire missions on his own position while supporting Aussies.

I can't say it was at Long Tan with any certainty but maybe one of you guys with the book can shed some light on it.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
From "The Battle of Long Tan, by Lex McAulay.

"Time and again the accuracy of the artillery impressed the infantrymen, so that it was averred that Maury Stanley (Captain, NZ 161 Battery) must have measured the distance in front of us!"

A fantastic book, well worth the read. Wink

Posts: 91 | Location: Brisbane, Australia. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Here is a link:

Long Tan-Wikipedia Link

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a Yank I would like to thank the ANZAC guys who fought in Vietnam.

I have never forgotten that you guys have always answered the call.

If someone can give me information about that book I would like to buy it.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I think there were two Kiwi's, Walker the radio op and a Capt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maury Stanley was definately the FOO. I met him a few years back at one of the Long Tan memorial ceremonies while I was posted to 6 RAR. All the guys have nothing but praise for the Kiwi gunners who kept the human waves broken up before they got too close.
Of course, I expect when you are down to your last 2 rounds, you'll take help wherever you find it.
Interesting to note, the guys said the yanks offered Close Air Support, but that meant the guns had to stop. The men on the ground didn't think that this was a good idea, so the CAS was waved off, to let the gunners get on with the job of helping the grunts stay in the fight.

I have to stress, that all this is second hand info, but it is from the some of the guys who were at the scene.

From the little I know of ops, it sounds about right.
Thumbs up for the Kiwi Arty! thumb

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

Have just checked it out with some of the guys and yeas it was Willie along with Maury Stanley and Murray Broomhall from 161 Bty.

I knew Willie as a WO2 when we were on the staff at School of Armour together. He was a Tankie (as all good gentlemen are lol) but did a tour with the gunners in RSVN as they make such great signallers for some strange reason.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzza A Vet once told me that our blokes wouldn't go anywhere that was out of range of the NZ guns we might take the piss out of one another but in a fight we sure want you blokes on our side Smiler

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
I watched the docco on history channel I sat alone while hubby sat on the puter and the kids played thier games.
It left me amazed, emotional and numb at the same time. (as did the changi gaol memorial)

I have not really known much about the Vietnam war, let alone 1 battle. I find myself wanting to know more.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Sam
There a a few good books on Viet Nam by a bloke called Gary McKay (a soldier in it himself) good reads. Also a good book on tracker dogs used by the Australian Army called Trackers by Peter Haran. I've meet some of the blokes in the trackers book (and had a few to many bourbons with them, was very sick for awhile Frowner Big Grin) nice blokes all.