Find
Notify
Tools

Eatin' Hares
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted
Anyone tried eating/cooking the hares we get here in Oz?
I have quite a few on my place (more than rabbits for sure) and was just wondering whether they worth putting in the pot.

I spoke to my elderly uncle about it and his response was "nah, dog tucker mate" but he is of the corned beef and cauliflower generation if you know what I mean so maybe he wasn't the best guy to ask......
These things are big, 3x the size of a bunny, small dog size, can run lot faster though... Smiler

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of afro408
posted Hide Post
I have a very good recipie for Hare that I have tried and it is delicious. Send me an email link and I will send the recipie to you.
My address is ajs@bigpond.net.au
Cheers
Tony

Posts: 50 | Location: East of the black stump,NSW. | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by afro408:
I have a very good recipie for Hare that I have tried and it is delicious. Send me an email link and I will send the recipie to you.
My address is ajs@bigpond.net.au
Cheers
Tony

Hey Tony
Just post it here and then we can all share it. Really interested to see this and I'm sure others would be too.
Cheers beer

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried eating/cooking the hares we get here in Oz?[/quote]

We get a lot of Hares aruond our place! Their a lot stronger than rabbit & I reconmend hanging them in a cool room for a couple of days! thumb
Years ago the Old man decided to "Jug" a hare which intails either hanging it for ome time or belive it or not burying it for a couple of days EekerWell the Old Man decided that he'd hang it! It was some days later that Mom asked me to cutv it down & get rid of it as it was "off"! with much Gaging I did this! Only to face the Old mans wrath! when he found it missing MadHe was convinced that ithad just been right to be brought in & prepared!

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Of course hares are good eating.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Smelly bloody things, even the dog won't eat them. What's wrong with venison. Gotta be desperate if you're chompin into hares. Rather eat a possum.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Bone 'em out , mince 'em up with an egg , breadcrumbs, seasoning and an onion and make BBQ patties out of 'em .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Try this link
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../171106951#171106951

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A quick Google on 'hare recipes' brought up quite a few sites.

Some of these look particularly interesting - Hare in Beer, anyone?

And though some dogs don't like them, cats tend to go nuts once you start dressing out a hare. The old man used to pick up fresh roadkill hares [the ones that weren't badly flattened] for cat food.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post

I used to shoot a lot of hares in the vine rows of the Barossa Valley. Not so many around now, even though I used to conserve them. Some neighbours shot them wholesale and they do not breed "like rabbits".

I think I need to come and help you thin out your problem on your property. Smiler

A mate has a fantastic recipe, though he hasn't confided it with me yet.

Casserole is a good way to cook them.

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

I think I need to come and help you thin out your problem on your property. Smiler

No worries.
But the deal is, if I show you mine, you show me yours. Wink

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Saddle of Vineyard Hare with Liver Terrine

Recipe from the NitroExpress.com forums

"Had a visit to the Tasting Australia site and found some disturbing game recipes. Disturbing in I want to try them!

This one is close to my heart with vineyard hare being a particular delicacy."

Saddle of Vineyard Hare with Liver Terrine, Fresh Peas, Salsify and Vincotta

Accompanying Wine or Beverage:
Old Vine Grenache maybe Carrara's own

Saddle of Hare
2 Hares (approximately 2 kg. each)
200 grams Salsify Lardons
4 Cos Lettuce leaves
300 grams fresh Peas (podded)

Hare Farce
500 grams Hare meat
(minced and passed through a sieve – use legs and trimmings)
3 Egg whites
100 mls. Cream
2 tablespoons Brandy
Salt and Pepper

Remove the heart, liver, lungs and kidneys from the cavity of the hares and soak the liver in mildly salty water for twenty minutes. Keep for later use. Remove the legs (debone them), sinew and fat. Cut the meat into small pieces and mince finely. Beat the egg whites and brandy into the minced meat. Fold in the Cream over an ice bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
Remove the tender loins and separate the loins from the backbone. Trim the Saddle of any sinew and fat. French trim the rib bones and trim to even lengths. Refrigerate until required.

Peel and cut the Salsify in approximately 15 cm. lardons. Blanch in salted water.

Blanch the Cos Lettuce leaves and remove the stalk.

Blanch the podded Peas and chop roughly. Put the chopped Peas into the centre of the blanched Lettuce leaves (4) and roll firmly into a sausage.

Lay the loins flat and pound lightly with the side of a meat mallet. Spread the loins with some of the Hare Farce and place the lettuce sausage and blanched Salsify in the centre over the farce. Cover with the other loin spread with the farce, making sure the ribs on the outside form a guard of honour. Truss well with butcher’s twine and sear and baste in a hot pan with oil. Roast in a moderate oven (170 Celsius) for twenty minutes, basting every five minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for twenty minutes before carving.

Vincotto Glaze
150 mls. Balsamic Vinegar
200 mls. Red Wine
10 Juniper Berries (crushed)
1 teaspoon Black Peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg shavings
5 litres Veal stock
50 grams Carrots (diced to mirepoix)
50 grams Onions (diced to mirepoix)
1 Bay Leaf
Hare bones

Roast the mirepoix of Carrot and Onion, the Hare bones and trimmings in a deep roasting pan. Once roasted, transfer to a pot and add the Veal stock. Bring to a simmer and skim well, continuing to skim during simmering. Cook for two to three hours.

Meanwhile, put the Balsamic Vinegar, Red Wine, Pepper, Juniper, Bay Leaf and Nutmeg into a pot and reduce by two thirds. Put the strained stock into the vinegar reduction and reduce again down to one tenth.

Liver Terrine
6 slices Pancetta
Hare Liver (kept from the Hares)
60 grams Unsalted Butter
Salt and Pepper

Line a terrine mould with the thinly sliced Pancetta. Heat the Butter in a pan and put in the cleaned livers (soaked and dried) just before the Butter begins to brown. Sauté the Livers to rare and season (approximately three to four minutes). Lay the Livers into the terrine mould and cover with Pancetta. Place a heavy weight on the top and bake in a water bath for fifteen minutes at 150º Celsius. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for fifteen minutes. Gently remove from the terrine mould and slice. Serve alongside the Saddle of Hare and the glaze.

John H.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

No worries.
But the deal is, if I show you mine, you show me yours. Wink

Must do!

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
And I'll bet after all that palava, they'll still taste like Muzza's socks smell.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Forget the hare recipes Tim , you just find me some wallabies and a good recipe for cooking them too..... Wink

At least Easy Rollins hasnt come out with the crass line -"So youre Canadian - show us your Beaver " yet .....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forget the hare recipes Tim , you just find me some wallabies and a good recipe for cooking them too

Wallabies/kangaroos......just giant wabbits if you ask me.
Don't mind a bit of roo fillet now again though.
Just scare it on the grill for a second or two, no more than a minute anyway, plenty of black pepper and maybe a dash of sweet chilli sauce....

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love roo steak. Never tried wallaby.

I know every roo I have gutted stunk the worst inside the cavity, and they were head shot. Not like a deer, goat etc at all in smell. Puts one off eating them. Nicer in styrofoam and shrink wrap. Most I have shot were left lying as pest culls.

Do roos usually smell like this or was it just the diet of the area?

John H.

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Don't bother gutting them.
Back legs off (for sausages/mince), backstraps out (fillet steaks), leave the rest for the crows.
Like many things, best eaten young. Wink

The big ones can definitely be a bit on the nose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do roos usually smell like this or was it just the diet of the area?

It's a smell you never quite get used to! bewildered Euros are by far the worst!As far as I'm concerned I can't see what the fuss is over the meat! (Hey I'm not complaining Buy more Roo meat thumb I've got a family to support)I will eat the Back steaks off a Red. At a Pinch but I draw the line at Greys!Yeah the bigger they are the worse they smell!

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The ones I skinned and gutted for the dogs were euros.

John H.

One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted Hide Post
I don't mind hares but I draw the line at possum.

A mate of mine stuffed up a good camp oven of mine years ago by cooking 8 of themk in it, And he ate them!

Not good.

Ross

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Wallaby's eh!!
Saw one squashed on the main road not far south of Timaru.
Also had a report that one was found in the Public Toilets in Pleasant Point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also had a report that one was found in the Public Toilets in Pleasant Point.

Hey when ya gota go! Ya gota go!!!! roflmao
Up the track from us is a National park Known as warrens Gourge. They have Public toilets in the form of outhouses there (Long drops) sometime ago there was a bit of excitment there as some people had turned up & on answering the call of nature opened the door of said Toilet only to be faced with a rather large Red "buck" ROO who was not happy about having been trapped in there!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corella is even better than duck if slow cooked

Ross

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hense the name grey beard! He started cooking that Corella when he was a boy ! ( It's almost done! Wink)

only pullin ya leg mate beer

dave

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreybeardBushman:

Ross

Isn't that the recipe where you throw a couple of stones in with the Corellas and cook them until the stones get soft, throw the Corellas away, then eat the stones......?? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely not offended.

We eat roo very often, particularly if they have been feeding on good tucker like irrigation. I don't think anyone could tell the difference between a top roast (beedf) and a roo leg if the pieces of meat were already sitting on their plate!

I can remember more than one instance of some one eating some "meat" and being fine with it until told what that "meat" really was.

Or attached to whom!!!

Still cannot get those smileys working.

Ross

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They work! beer Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day All, tried the recipe Nitrox posted last night. Very nice! Now all I have to do is find more Hares!

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote