Find
Notify
Tools

GTR 1400 and the facts of life
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted
I was so much into hunting and guns in general for so many years I forgot that there were other things that could grab and absorb ones attention.
When I found I had cancer and could die very soon, within two years, I decided to see as much of Aus as I could from a big road bike. Got a 1200 bandit and did 15,000 ks in 9 months, loving every minute.
I really liked it so much I bought a new Kawasaki 1400GTR and even though I am back at work part time, I can honestly say I have never had as much pleasure on these two bikes as I could have ever expected. (My wife got her licence and got a Virago. Our son has a 1200 Bandit so we all do k's together).
I still hunt. Take the rifles, shotguns and hand guns out into the scrub and like it.
But I can honestly say the feeling of being out on a bike doing k's to nowhere is a great pleasure. Sometimes up to 800 in a day.
Life is such an unpredicatable thing that we all take for granted. Its not here for ever and we need to enjoy every experience to the upmost.
I love the feel of a great gun but I now appreciate so many things I took for granted. I also appreciate so many people I have known for decades so much more.
I have been given a reprieve but it still is a change to ones life when you are told in no uncertain terms that you are dying (unless..... blah.... and on and on),

Live every minute like its your last is not a stupid idea. Enjoy it all and don't regret one moment of pleasure ever.

Ross

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Good point!

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Ahh yes, I do miss the bikes. My first bike was a TT250, then I bought a CB750 (for $750)jeeze I loved that bike, went like the clappers. I may get one again, who knows Big Grin

Well said GGB beer

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GBB ,
All too true . My brother in-law died of melanoma about 3 years ago . Opened my eyes to what is important . Booked my first guided hunt shortly thereafter and will probably book my third soon . Hope the prognosis has improved .
Regards ,
K

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Yep, riding is right up there as one of those "must do" things in life in my opinion.
My only regret is that I have taken it up quite late in life when I really should have done it 20+ years ago.
There's just no better feeling than being out on the road somewhere, just you and your thoughts, the bike, the wind in your face and the bitumen rolling underneath you and you feel like you could go on forever.

Cars move your body.
Bikes move your soul.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote