Find
Notify
Tools

gun stock import
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted
I want to bring a gun stock into australia from NZ to get a new one made, any idea as to what it will be classed as, a piece of wood or a gun part? will bring it back in my luggage.

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
I imported a stock from the US a couple of years ago as "wooden sporting equipment".
It came in with no problems, no questions asked.
I'm pretty sure rifle stocks are not contolled items so you should be ok with it.
Make sure it just the woodwork though and there's no metalwork on it.

It would probably pay you to contact the airline and the local police anyway just to be sure.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a piece of wood so far as customs goes so you need to declare it to the quarantine people so they can check for worm holes etc. I wouldn't contact the airline - they will only get very confused.

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because it's wood, Customs will likely seize it and hand it over to AQIS for fumigation to be arranged. Which will cost!

Info here: http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/import

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Which airline are you using?
I think you need permission from them via email. Then you can take it as secure luggage.
I'm not sure about customs.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
QANTAS, mite give them a ring

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will get different answers from each of the "authorities" you contact.

It also depends on which state you first land in.

The police will tell you you need an import permit B904 if I recall. Customs will probably tell you the same. On the other hand plastic stocks I have imported by mail arrived without the permit that I already had being required.

Being wood you will have to show it to quarantine. Doubt that should be much of an issue though.

Airlines are of little help, most of their staff don't have a clue about the weight limits, much less anything to do with firearms.

Qantas is an airline in decline and likely will be most unhelpful. If I was bringing in a bare stock then I would have it in my hold baggage and declare it to quarantine.

Personally I would pay the money and post it ahead and deal with it through the postal/customs system.

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen the Problem isn't at our end.

Seems things have got crazy in the USA. Either that or many of the outlets in the US just can't be bothered

Seems over $100 US dollars and they won't ship goods without a $250 or $350 permit. This doesn't make it cost effective.

There are very few outlets in the US left, that have realised we are not the "middle east" down here in OZ and NZ, and will send the gear.

Having said that I believe the penalties and complications for exporting firearm related products out of the USA that don't comply with new USA exporting guidelines are pretty severe. Thats why most of them have said " oh stuff it' "it's all to hard"

regards S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

I assume the only Govt people you would need to contact, would be AQIS or Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service. You may want to contact them before you leave Oz and declare the Blank on your return to OZ.
Do the right thing and wrap it in a Plastic Bag to show that you are at least trying to comply and be responsible about protecting Australia.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
brought the stock back from NZ and customs in Melbourne where we landed on route to WA took it off me as they said I needed an import permit. Then after checking into the domestic leg they rang and said that they had made a mistake and I could now have it so back down to collect it and put on as fragile luggage. So a good result in the end, now just have to get a new one made