New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Zealand for Stag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys is it possible to hunt Red Stag if you are 63 have had heart surgery. I am not in great shape but I have some time to get ready. In watching the shows on Outdoor channel it looks like the hunts are really vertical.

You good natured bloakes forget the "get in shape info"

Thanks

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Can't see why not,Outfitter that posts here got 70 year old client a Tahr

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mate is 72, has shot NZ's 5th best fallow head two years ago and is creaming in more 12 pointers than I do (I still haven't got one Smiler). Only difference is he hunts less steep private land while I hunt public land.

Posts: 10 | Location: Upper Hutt, New Zealand | Registered: 23 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do it easily if you hunt private land and you are prepared to spend the extra bucks $$$$. Its not an easy task for good young hunters to pull a trophy head off public land. Plenty of crappy 6 and 8 pointers around though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell yes!!!

Makapua Station!!

Shot this on Wednesday morning.

PM me for more details or just google it.

Regards Runas

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting on private land is the way to go as long as you are ok with the $$. Kiwis dont like paying to hunt and we usually persevere on public land but with the benefit of time and repeat visits to get to know the area and local contacts and knowledge which makes all the difference. Not much of this is easy country!

What you are looking for is access to the hunting area by quadbike, 4WD or horse, etc and a guide who knows where to find the animals.

Okau Park you mentioned in another post is just such a place, Makapua Station sounds similar.

You could also check out www.aotearoasafaris.com or www.bigskynz.com

I have no connection to any of these places and also have never hunted any of them but they sound like the solution to your mobility issues.

Let us all know if you do come down here and how you get on.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
I'd also recommend you look at this outfit: http://www.hawea-hunting.co.nz/

See my hunt report on this section, with some preparation you should be able to get around the hills get a few opportunities at a stag.

Cheers
H

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hell yes!!!

Makapua Station!!

Shot this on Wednesday morning.

Waidmannsheil ! For this lovely Stag

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas