New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sambar distribution
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Given that they come from India which has sort of the same climate as Northern Australia. Why don't you think they've done as well there as they have in Vic?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
No Tigers in Victoria to eat them sofa

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yes thats a pertinent point bakesy,up north you would think that they would swamp the place compared to the cold winter haunts of Vic.

Lot of tucker in Vic and theres lots in the top end too and it dosent make sense that the original liberation up nth are not in plague numbers.

There are way more predators in Vic also yet the numbers remain high...16,000 registered deer hunters in Vic alone roll a lot of deer here.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are expanding their range in Vic i nearly hit a doe on the highway heading into Shepparton on Mon morning 7.20am ,i would expect that up around where i live but not way down on the flat country..

Posts: 157 | Location: N.E. Victoria Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
Probably because in Vic they had a number of different liberations in different locations to begin with. Bush fires and maybe hound hunters caused the deer to spread over a large area and hence we have the population spread over a great area.

Still bloody hard to shoot a stag regardless!!

Unless you are low and weak enough to resort to illegal spotlighting!

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Spotlighting?

Two blokes just got nailed with two hoggies taken in the light,guns,gear AND vehicle have been seized.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yes it does seem strange Gryph. The same could be said for Chital and Rusa I suppose.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would want to be bloody good hounds to chase them all the way to shepparton

Posts: 157 | Location: N.E. Victoria Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yes Bakesy especially considering rusa and chital were both liberated in Vic by the Acclimatisation Society all those years ago and neither species kicked on here at all.