New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sydney fox rescue
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Another one from AHN. For those that don't know Rob Borsak is from the Shooters and Fishers Party in the NSW.

Hunters, read my speech from yesterday, on the Hansard, what a bunch of idiots, even the Greens don't support these fools!

EUROPEAN RED FOX

The Hon. ROBERT BORSAK: The European red fox is arguably the worst animal ever imported into Australia by our forebears not long after the arrival of the First Fleet, with the cane toads, rabbits and cats not far behind. It was apparently brought to Australia by the so-called gentry so they could continue their tradition of fox hunting. The red fox acclimatised so well that it was soon out of control and wreaking havoc on our native birds and animals and it continues to do so today. The fox is a voracious predator. Any farmer can tell us what they do to newborn lambs and about their never-ending battle to protect their stock from this predator.

It should amaze every member of this Chamber to know that each weekend, at a pet store in Alexandria, members of a group called Sydney Fox Rescue solicit customers for funds to have young foxes adopted as domestic pets. I find it offensive in the extreme and hope that a well-intentioned government would find a way to make it illegal to keep a fox as a pet. Sydney Fox Rescue should try to save a more deserving native animal such as bilbies or penguins.

For the life of me I cannot understand why it believes foxes should not be removed from our country. Every weekend hundreds of hunters take part in fox drives and fox hunts. In Victoria a bounty is offered to encourage the destruction of foxes. For many years I have advocated for a similar scheme in New South Wales, so far without result but I will keep trying. I will tell members what I have learned about Sydney Fox Rescue from its website. Not surprisingly, it does not endorse the shooting or baiting of foxes or even the use of snare traps. It points out that New South Wales foxes may be kept in captivity but it is an offence under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 to release them. On its website it states:

Sydney Fox Rescue is unique in that we are the only registered Australia Charity who work in connection with the red fox. Whoopee.

Whoopee! Whoever approved it as a charity should have a big rethink. In all sincerity, I appeal to people not to donate to this group. There are far more worthy charities.

The Hon. Dr Peter Phelps: Just about any charity is more worthy.

The Hon. ROBERT BORSAK: I acknowledge that interjection. The website goes on to state:

We work to rescue, rehabilitate and rehome foxes. The majority of the animals we work with are young, orphaned or injured and will eventually be vaccinated, desexed and rehomed with members of the community who have been approved by our adoptions team, installed a secure fox enclosure and undergone a fox ownership training program.

The Hon. Dr Peter Phelps: What?

The Hon. ROBERT BORSAK: It gets better. Are these people serious? Not even The Greens could support such a group. I know in fact The Greens do not because The Greens realise and acknowledge the damage that is caused by the red fox. I do not think urban yuppies have a clue about the damage the fox causes. It does not need to be kept as a domestic pet. I honestly doubt they can be tamed because they are naturally predatory. It gets even worse. For example, the Sydney Fox Rescue website states:

Foxes undergo a behaviour test prior to rehoming to ensure they can live happily and comfortably in a family environment.

What about those that fail? They cannot he released back into the wild, so where do they go? Sydney Fox Rescue states:

Less social foxes who do not meet behaviour requirements for normal-adoption will stay with a suitable foster carer until an appropriate forever home can be found that understands their special needs.

The Hon. Dr Peter Phelps: Around Natasha Maclaren-Jones's neck.

The Hon. ROBERT BORSAK: I acknowledge that interjection. Sydney Fox Rescue understands that not all foxes are suited to life as a house pet and that some foxes may be happiest outdoors with minimal human interaction or, indeed, around someone's neck. The cruncher comes next. An adoption fee of $250 to $350 applies per fox to cover the cost of desexing, vaccinations, worming and flea treatments. Incidentally, flea is spelt "flee". It may also include mange treatment and a course of antibiotics, if necessary.

The Hon. Dr Peter Phelps: For the owners.

The Hon. ROBERT BORSAK: I acknowledge that interjection.

The Hon. Robert Brown: What about skinning costs?

The Hon. ROBERT BORSAK: I acknowledge that interjection. What a load of rubbish. Let us address the situation. The Government should declare the fox a pest under the Local Land Services Act 2013 and then offer at least a $10 bounty for each fox killed so that it has a red-hot go at eradicating them to help to preserve and protect our native wildlife and farm animals. I dread the day I walk down George Street and pass a yuppy with a fox on a lead or indeed see a fox sticking its head out of a man bag.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
But foxes are so cute and cuddly and lovable .

Who doesnt fondly remember watching Basil Brush on tv , and seeing all those Disney shows about pretty animals with human characteristics ?

Mental note to self - time to go back to Oz for another fox hunt weekend .....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I was of the understanding that foxes being declared vermin are illegal to keep unless with a zoo licence.

Shot on sight is the rule here.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the world turns stupidity grows. There is no membership limit. Keep in mind this is not about the fox...it is about the money!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I would think the cane toad would the enemy number one, then cats, foxes and rabbits.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Domestic dogs gone-breeding wild, are causing a lot of increasing trouble for cattle & sheep growers.

I don't have problem with they idea of a pet fox ,but like ANY pet,with it comes the appropriate owner responsibility.
One should be entitled to their liberties, be it to go hunting,fishing or have a pet fox, rabbit,goldfish,snake etc.
Foxes when well accustomed to humans from when very young, actually become quite comfortable with humans.

Borsak might wonder why all feral foxes should not be shot or killed, yet in several other parts of the world,
people might wonder why ones domestic German Sheperd,doberman or GSP, is not on the menu.

Does Mr.Borsak object to people having pet goldfish?

cause look what can go wrong!..... Once were pets, feral goldfish monster inland native species .. Eeker

and since people have the desire to preserve the population of already free roaming FERAL Banteng,
I gots to ask,... Is the Banteng the right pet for me? .. animal

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote