Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping loaded ammunition-Regs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
Anyone know the regulations regarding the movement of loaded ammunition from one gun dealer to another? I'm trying to get ammunition from a NSW dealer and he says that it can't be "sent" to a Victorian dealer, yet Lawrence has done that exact thing for me a couple of times using a courier. I'm pretty sure it can't be sent through Australia Post but a courier I thought was fine?! What's the go?
Thanks...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Your right about Aussie post, not allowed! Dealer to dealer via courier should be fine you'd think. Sorry don't know for sure.

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con,
Most shops have couriers they deal through, i guess you have found some 8mm rem ammo? I sent some 300win ammo recently just via a courier. no probs. That was from country vic to brisbane.

cheers 338w

Posts: 57 | Location: vic, Aust | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
338Win,
Rifle will come with 50 reloads, getting the reloads at the moment is a greater hassle than the rifle and I want them for the cases more than anything. I'll have a chat to the dealer about getting it sent down by courier, otherwise I'll get the current owner to break down the reloads and send me the cases.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
Con,
You could get the current owner to send them via courier, can't see it being a prob. Gee 8mm rem mag, uncle nick will be proud of you. You know 338w ammo is easier to get.

cheers 338w

one of us
posted Hide Post
338win,
I think Uncle Nick got rid of his 8mm RemMag awhile back... not sure. Yeah, 338WM is easier to get but I've always thought the perfect 3 gun "Big Bore" battery would be an 8mmRemMag, 375H&H and 470Capstick, all built on magnum Rem700 actions to P the CRF freaks out. Well, only thing that remains now is to get serious and finish the Capstick. Never thought to get the current owner to freight the ammo... good point!
Thanks...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con,

Us CRF mob are not angry or hurt by your action we just feel sorry for you

Just kidding mate....I have never seen a 8mm rem mag on the shelf of a store before and I have never even seen a loaded round, tell us a bit more about the round and the rifle you have bought.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con,
That's a good 3 rifle battery you have selected, What made yo decide on the 8mm mag and not one of the 30 mag's. Feed that 8mmrem mag 220gr, she'll kill like the hammer of thor.

cheers 338w

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
It's a standard Rem700 BDL except this one has been rebarreled once, 8mmRemMag in my mind is pretty much a pre-cursor to the 300Ultra. Introduced in 1977 it never went very far in the popularity stakes despite pushing a 220gr CoreLokt at around 2800fps. Thing is its based on an "improved" 375H&H with 25 degree shoulder so case capacity suggests it should be good for a bit more velocity than factory loads originally gave. A little brother to the 340Weatherby I reckon, and with a 250gr Woodleigh it might just be a cracker on Sambar in the scrub. Current factory Rem load is a 200gr A-Frame at around 3000fps I think. I'll give you more details when I get my hands on it and start the reloading process. As a matter of interest, sold my Zastava 458WM to fund this beast so the CZ 458Lott is getting a work-out at the moment. Spent today sighting in using two loads both with the 500gr Woodleigh and using Bell brass: first was 79gr AR2206, other was 83gr AR2208... recoil is pretty brisk but absolutely no signs of pressure. Cases extract like silk, primers are still well rounded and tight. I'm going to work up a little furthur and do some chronographing in the coming weeks so I'll let you know what I find. What load did you finally settle on in your Lott?
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
338win,
The 8mmRemMag caught my interest years ago because of the great stuff you hear about the metric 8x68S, plus Uncle Nick's stories about his 8mmRemMag of course. It always seemed to me that the 8mmRemMag could do whatever the 300Mags could PLUS with the Woodleigh 250gr projectile step up a notch if needed (not that I ever will!). I've also a sneaking suspicion that factory loads can be improved on as case capacity is pretty close to the 340Weatherby. In my mind it seems a little more versatile than the 300's in everything except projectile selection, and even that has improved dramatically in the last decade. First things first, I need to get my hands on the rifle, some factory ammo for reference, dies from Grafs and I'm away!
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
Con,
You deal with grafs a bit ? how hard is it to get gear from the us sent out? Do you know if you can bring scopes back from there also, i have my brother in law going over in august?

cheers 338w

one of us
posted Hide Post
338win,
As easy as ordering online with a credit card. Grafs has begun requiring import/export permits but shouldn't require one for optics.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con,

the load I have settled on for the 500 gr woodleigh is 80 gr of AR2208 in a Hornady case with fed 215m primer. No sticky extraction, and seems to shoot well.

I love the .458 lott it is a winner in my eyes.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
That loads reasonably mild and should keep brass alive forever. I chronographed some AR2208 loads with the 500gr Woodleigh awhile back, used Bell brass (trimmed at 2.795") and WLR primers. Projectile was crimped even with the cannelure for a COL of 3.633".
77gr-2020fps
78gr-2068fps
79gr-2100fps
I'm going to load up to see what I can achieve and then probably end up backing off to a nice relaxed 2150fps.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just tried to send 100/ 270 cases unprimed to Sydney and got kicked in the ass/ nasty letter and such/I'l use a courier/should have but my brother didn't send me the pre-paid forms on time../Push comes to shove i'll drive down..
Luke in Oz

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Boy - you guys sure do live in a free and democratic nation don't you ?

Pleased we havent got as stupid as that with our laws - yet .

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Luke,
Who actually gave you grief, unprimed cases aren't an issue with anyone that I know including Australia Post?
Cheers...
Con