Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
I took my .303 for a walk on the weekend, with Gary and his son Matt and a copper named Jimmy. Lots of water around still so the pigs are still spread out, did manage to get 4. Pulled off a good shot with the .303 and was impressed with the round, its the first time I hunted with a 303. I was using highlander ammo which shoots a 180gr pill. One thing though, the rifle got a bit muddy laying in the bottom of a canoe (thats a whole other story, hey Gary )

I took it apart to give it a good clean and what a pain in the arse to strip! Give me a simple Mauser any day

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
The good old 303 will hold it's own with many modern guns as a hunting rifle. I have them as Martini, No1 Mk3, No4 Mk1, & No3 (P14).
Funny thing about pig shooting, I see blokes sighting in at the range at 200 & 300 yards with their magnum boomers and when they get into the field, a pig jumps up at 40yards and they miss the bastard! The 303 will account for 95% of pig hunting situations.
I've nearly restored my 1893 Martini 303 and I want to shoot this with cast bullets and black powder to see how it perform on game.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Quote:

a pig jumps up at 40yards and they miss the bastard

I agree mate, the longest shot I've had on a pig would be about 120 meters or so. The closest about 3 meters. I've sighted my 6.5x55 to be right on at 200 meters as I figured that in my neck of the woods, 200m is a Loooong way. The pig I got with the .303 would of been about 40 meters away.

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
Hey Bakes:
What could be simpler to strip than a Smelly? ...if you've got the RIGHT TOOLS! Give Arrow-Mark a call.

Difference is, a Mauser will pit to buggary if it gets wet under the stock or in the barrel-channel (in fact, try to find an ex-mil one that's NOT pitted!), where-as a three-oh just dries out eventually with no ill effects.

I'm with BAW on this one: I have the same range of models plus a few Lee Speeds and a cut-down Long Tom (NZ Range Pattern). Simply love 'em!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Quote:

if you've got the RIGHT TOOLS

Ahhh all you need for a mauser is a screwdriver

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
thats why the mauser was a popular military rifle , it has to be simple for military people to be able to work it....

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a Mk1 ALWAYS take off the forewood first.If you try to undo the butt bolt first the sqare end will split the rear of the forewood.HTH

<gary_hall>
posted
Bakes.

You told me the shot was 200 yards.

Next time we go out in canoes I want one that goes straight

What's happening this weekend?

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
No mate I said 400 yards with a 20km and hour cross wind!