Find
Notify
Tools

World Record red stag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
Not wanting to start anything up again, but here is a story about a guy who shot a tame stag in Europe and it was tried to register it as a trophy. I think it is appropriate to remove it from the trophy registers.

From the European AR hunting forum.

'Con game' fools the Baron who thought he shot trophy stag

By Tony Paterson in Berlin
Published: 03 October 2006
For Baron Eberhard von Gemmingen-Hornberg, it was a trophy hunter's dream come true: deep in the Bulgarian countryside last year a single shot from the German aristocrat's rifle brought a giant stag of unprecedented proportions toppling stone dead to the forest floor.

The magnificent beast weighed more than 300kg and bore a huge crown of tree-like antlers on its head made up of no less than 37 branches. The trophy was enough to enable the Baron to claim that he had achieved a new world hunting record.

The Baron's exploits were feted in the German and international hunting press, who vied with each other to document the extraordinary features of the slain stag. Never, it seemed, had any hunter managed to bag such a creature.

Yesterday, however, it emerged that Baron Gemmingen-Hornberg's trophy was no roaring wild stag of the Bulgarian beech forests but rather a tame, chocolate-loving red deer raised in an Austrian game reserve. The animal had been deliberately fed calcium tablets to enhance the growth of its antlers.

"The stag's name was Burlei, he was completely tame and children liked to feed him chocolate," the animal's former owner, Rudolf Pöttinger, told Spiegel television.

The series of events that led the Baron to be duped started in the summer of last year. Mr Pöttinger, the owner of a 53-acre game reserve in southern Austria, received an offer of €20,000 (£13,500) for Burlei and promptly sold the animal to two game dealers.

Within a month the stag was roaming hunting estate forests run by a Bulgarian organisation called Elen Hunting, which has its headquarters near the town of Etropole. Anxious to find a wealthy marksman with a yen for huge stags, the company began to spread news of Burlei's whereabouts.

The Baron heard of the stag from a Serbian wildlife documentary film-maker and, after paying a total of €65,000 for the privilege, he flew to Sofia in late August last year with his gun and a team of cameramen.

Accompanied by a game keeper and two film-makers, the Baron caught up with Burlei as the animal was grazing in a clearing. Undaunted by the fact that the supposedly wild stag failed to run away as the team approached, he raised his rifle and shot it dead.

In the months that followed, the Baron was pictured in hunting magazines worldwide with his trophy of antlers. "I had never seen anything so magnificent and, of course, I never remotely dreamed that I would have the chance of bagging such a stag," he was quoted as saying.

His triumph was shattered after photographs of Burlei grazing in his former home appeared on the internet. An Austrian police investigation established that the animal was indeed the tame red deer and that it had been fed calcium to enhance the growth of its antlers.

Baron Gemmingen-Hornberg's attempts to sue the culprits for fraud proved fruitless as police were unable to identify the Bulgarian middle men who supplied the hunting estate with the stag. The Baron, who insists that he wishes to forget the affair, was not available for comment yesterday. His world hunting record has been annulled.

Spiegel television said he had instructed his domestic staff to put Burlei's antlers in the cellar of his country house.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tale lends creedence to the advice about not accepting sweets from a stranger . shame

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_s
posted Hide Post
I heard about this a week or so ago but hadnt seen the photo.

Posts: 77 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 06 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
What a hero, must have been a real challenge for him. Roll Eyes
Clearly NOT a wild animal.
Poor bloody thing.
Sick... Frowner

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MADNESS
posted Hide Post
what a dick head he got what was coming to him

shooting farm deer then claming a world record Roll Eyes

Posts: 159 | Location: NEW ZEALAND | Registered: 03 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Maybe so - but you only have to look at Prince Charles to see what centuries of inbreeding has done to the IQ of European Royalty .

The guy may well have purchased the "hunt" and "trophy" in good faith. Marketing is everything and obviously the guys selling this did a good job.

My personal thoughts are that the "hunter" is the victim of his own ego , and a plot to feed that ego and relieve him of a stack of cash at the same time . Maybe when you have that much money you can afford to be duped and walk away from it ?

'tis an ugly beast though. Looks like someone glued a tree to its head.

And before anyone starts - I'm with NitroX in not wanting to start a fight over this .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
... and, after paying a total of €65,000 for the privilege ...

Well it did cost him a few pennies too.

I really doubt one could find a stag with antlers that looked like that in the wild. And any experienced hunter would know that ie I refer to the Baron.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barons hunt can never happen in New Zealand because the Stags there are all

"Free Sheep Range" jumping

r.
Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post

Another photo "borrowed" from the Euro forum.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Don't know about you guys but I think it makes a very ugly trophy! I take it they don't ear tag their stock in Europe?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7991 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
When my son of 10 years saw it in a local hunting mag called vida salvaje he said this is a joke this deer isnt wild ,im sure the Baron who is an expert hunter know this .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a video (german) from the "proud hunter" with his trophy http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-13445.html

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Dragging this one up from the archives....

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7991 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
Loopy (tourist hunting in another country) hunters believe what the outfitters and guides tell them, it is a common excuse. Seems to me from here that cheque book hunting like the barons is like real life. If a deal on a trophy is too good to be true, it usually is. There is always a willing mark somewhere.
We had some arab sheik doing his nut here in NZ because someone whipped the balls off for the sperm from a stag he shot in a paddock at full price. Both of them are private land, the animal is owned by someone, Funny read both of them Big Grin back to reloading the 7mm for tahr, busy few months ahead between now and march.
Recreational hunters are still busy sorting out helihunting with one or two commendable exceptions the hunting guides in NZ seem very quiet.

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote