New
Find
Notify
Tools

ADI's updated reloading info
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I like the format of that information . Good range of cartridges and a variety of loadings .Very helpfull.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Same loads. I only found the 340 Weatherby loads to chronograph truely.
When I emailed ADI re their poupy load data, I was informed that many were only caculated by computer!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .404 Jeff loads look very tame and there max !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ADI list the .223rem using BM1 and 40gn Bullets maximum to be only 26gns. I use 27gns without any problem. Nick Harvey's Reloading book states that his maximum is 27.5 with same powder and bullet. Wonder who is more credible here.
Happy Hunting..
Mick

Posts: 25 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I don't think its an issue of who's more credible, perhaps ADI is erring on the side of caution?

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Quote:

ADI list the .223rem using BM1 and 40gn Bullets maximum to be only 26gns. I use 27gns without any problem. Nick Harvey's Reloading book states that his maximum is 27.5 with same powder and bullet. Wonder who is more credible here.
Happy Hunting..
Mick

I would respectfully suggest that both sources are equally credible. They are Reloading GUIDES designed to give information on starting and maximum loads.

Each individual rifle and cartridge combination must be developed by the reloader, not simply pulled from a book. (But you already knew that ).

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I beleive that ADI are following the American reloading Manual method of supplying safe load data and covering their arse in relation to legal contest if something goes wrong using that data . The US loading manuals from the 1950's list much hotter loads than current ones , all because of the litigation debacle that exists today.
Everyone who reloads is obliged to work out for themselves what is "safe" for their rifle , and the printed data is only a guide to start at .

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ADI loads for the Marlin 45/70 list a 300gr at 2400fps. Anyone tried that load? I downloaded 8% and got 2200fps, I'd be really careful trying to get up to 2400. Also the 303British data (2nd edition) used to have a warning to reduce loads by 2gr for SMLE and No.4s as data was worked up for P-14 actions. The 3rd edition manual has no warning and some of the loads have been increased! Safe loads? As always be careful of what's in print, cross-reference and start from conservative charges.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That's quite some barrel length on their .500 Jeffery.
They should get 2300fps with just a primer.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably a spotting round for a Leopard tank ??????

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Con as I recall that load has been identified as a miss print. It was bought up in Nick Harvey's "ask the guru" section of Sporting Shooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,
No problem... but if it's a genuine missprint then why hasn't it been pulled off the website? Big companies move in strange ways...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Quote:

but if it's a genuine missprint then why hasn't it been pulled off the website

Can't answer that, I don't know!

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Has anyone e-mailed ADI and told them of the continuing error...? Maybe they dont know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I emailed them all the data I had on various calibres that I had chronoghaphed and got a "thanks but no thanks"
"Individual rifles may perform different to our published figures and shooters should start 10% ......."

one of us
posted Hide Post
I emailed them to have a whinge about it.
Once they change that we can get down to the real thorns in the sides of discerning big bore reloaders-
'Cartridges of the world'.
Someone tell me they have fixed ackleys load data.Great guy.But he should have been hung out to dry with the 475 A&M claims.

Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ADI (Mulwex?) 2nd Edition was compiled 10+ years ago in collabboration with Nick Harvey who was using the RCBS Reloading CD which guesstimates a range of loads based on the data from one tested load. All subsequent editions are just tidied up versions. Of course ADI does a lot of load testing but don'rt appear to have done any load developement.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote