New
Find
Notify
Tools

A bit of Thar and Chamois hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have been Chasing a few critters with a mate from The states. He had a horror start with the airline mucking him about and he got here two days late and they lost his bow. But luckily he could shoot a rifle. With the shorter timeframe I decided to go to an easier to get too spot, and it payed off with a nice Chamois on day one, and then a decent bull Tahr and another chamois in the same little valley on day two.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Shanks,
Great result and very kind of you to help a visitor with a bit of Kiwi hunting. I can't wait to get back to the South Island to hunt again.
Is this the guy who posted on NZHS late last year about coming down to NZ to hunt ?
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep Thats him. Hes had a real kiwi experience and has carried half a bull Tahr out for 6 hours too.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good of you Craig, lucky hunter!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a little overnight hunt over weekend. Stags are just starting to roar and there was a window before a spell of rain comes through, so though it was worth a look.
They were just starting all right but not enough to really get onto.

So I got a chance to test my new tent and packraft anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully those pack rafts have improved a bit. In 1979 I bought one and carried it up the Pakahi River. Blew it up and dropped a Red hind into it. First rapids ripped the bottom out of it so I ended up carrying out a soaking wet deer for 4 hours. Idiot!

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah this one is low end budget. But very lite. Im not going to do any rapids in it, just use it to cross at reasonable pools. Id say a decent rock would sort it pretty quick.