New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 PPC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would like to hear from some one with a 20 cal PPC. Thinking about building one to try the cartridge out. Would like to know about other peoples experince with one.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro

I've never had one but know at least a couple of shooters who have tried them for point-blank Benchrest. The results were less than overwhelming. The PPC case is a little too big for 22 caliber, much less a 20. You can get the same ballistics with a smaller case such as the 20 PUP which is a shortened PPC (1.3" case length). Or just neck a 220 Russian down to 20.

But if you're more interested in velocity than accuracy go for it.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,Have a 204 Ruger at this point and was just wonder if the 20 PPC would be worth a try. Coud just cut a barrel for my 6mm PPC and have a go at it. My try a 20 tactial insted.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 20 Beggs...fantastic.....its a 20/220Russian with Gen Beggs improved shoulder radias

Posts: 13 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 08 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PPC shoots 60-62gr 22 or 6mm bullets better than anything. I had a .100" short 17PPC I could never get it to shoot. I think it was justy to much case. A 20 X 221???

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro, there a few guys over on www.saubier.com who have 20 PPC's. Jim Saubier being one of them. At the first annual "Eastern Small Caliber Shoot" at Thurmont, Md. last year, Jim broke out his reargrip XP-100 pistol chambered in 20 PPC, and broke 3 small hen eggs with 3 shots at 300 yds. My wife Sara did it also with a 20 Javelina AI. I'm waiting on a 20 x 222 Rem reamer as we speak.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Eddie, I have both 20 Beggs and 20X.223AI reamers if the mood ever strikes you...you're welcome to use either one. BTW, when is the 2nd annual small caliber shoot???

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pointblank, thanks for the offer. 2nd annual shoot is set for Aug 1-2. Our cook, Ray, is the ramrod on this shoot.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for the in put,and advice. have made up my mind to go at the situation with having a chambering reamer made for a 204 Ruger, but in min. dimensions (sort of a match chamber, but not a tight neck). It will also have a throat where the 32 to 40 grain bullets can be seated to the rifling lead with the base of the bullet at or near the base of the case neck. Seems that the chambers being cut in factory rifle barrels have nearly a Weatherby free bore. When a 32 grain Sierra bullet is hard seated to the rifling in a factory cut chamber there is very little of the bullet in the case neck. The early 204 Ruger chamberd factory rifles did not have a long throat. They have proved to be much easier to get to shoot accuratly. Have ordered a Borden Alpine action, and a 26" Remington Varmint contour Krieger barrel in 1 in 12" twist. Jim Borden will design the reamer to my specs., and have Dave Kipp build the reamer. Jim will be doing the chambering and the fitting of the barrel to the action. Borden's work is as good as it gets. When you have a rifle built by Jim it is a shooter!There are several reasons that I have gone with the 204 Ruger. If need be there is factory ammo available, not that I plan to use it but it is there in a pinch. Also the resale value of the rifle. After I pass it will be much easier for the wife to sell a 204 Ruger then it will be some wildcat 20 cal. Also in the areas that I hunt varmints (mostly chucks and crows) it is becoming more built up with new homes. The distances are becoming shorted that shots are taken, and noise levels need to be kept down. Throughout the summer of 2008 I used a Cooper M21 in 204 Ruger to take 41 chicks, 9 wild pigeons, and several crows.The Sierra 39 grain Blitz King bullet did a great job. The load that I developed for the little 39 grain bullet chronographed at 3949 fps. It also shot very accuratly. Groups under 1/4" for five shots at 200 yards were not uncommon. It also proved to be a very effictive varmint killer. This was not the only pleasent surprise though. The light recoil of the 204 Ruger was not enough to cause the lose of sight in the scope when the shot was fired. The rifle and cartridge was a pleasure to use in the field and on the bench. The 204 ruger had another surprise of me. A varmint hunting partner of mine has one of the first Cooper M21s in 204 Ruger. He has used this rifle on two trips into S. Dakota shooting prairie dogs. I was on both of those trips and know that the rifle did have several hundred rounds put through it on each trip. Also varmint hunting and shooting from the benchrest my friend has well over 2,000 rounds through the rifle. When I did an inspection of the throat area with a bore scope it was in fine condition. There was no fire checking. That was not what I had expected. It would appear that the 204 Ruger is not a barrel burner!Jim Borden tells me that I should have the barreled action late in June. Once receiver I will bed the rifle in a HS-Precision LTR stock, and start load development.

posted Hide Post
Kembo, What velocity you get from your 20 Beggs and bullet you used, the reason I asked is that I've a PPC bolt face action, including stock, bases and rings.
G.

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 28 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The velocities from the 26" barrel of my Cooper 21 in .204 Ruger run, 3949 FPS with 39 gr Sierra BK bullets, and 4132 fps witht he 32 grain Sierra BK, 3999 fps with the 35 gr Berger. There is only one powder that gives me these velocities, and keeps the pressure down while providing great accuracy. That powder is BL-C#2. Also you will need to hard seat the bullets to contact with the lands.