Find
Notify
Tools

1000 yard load question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted
I'm looking for a sanity check on an idea and load. 5.56 at 1000 yards, most folks call it marginal but this is the plan this month. As I mentioned earlier today I'm going to shoot the 1000 after our National Match Course. I plan on loading Berger 80 VLD's over Varget. My regular load is a 77 SMK and 24 gr Varget in a CCI 400 primed WCC case. I haven't had problems with the primer but plan on using a Wolf Magnum for the 1000 yard load and trying both 24 and 24.5 gr loads.

As a sanity check, has anyone tried this load combination? I figure if this load doesn't work for 1000 yards I'll use the rest of the Bergers for 600 yard loads.

PS. Early apology if you read this in another thread. Some people only read 1 or 2 threads.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam I haave some friends that have shot to 1000 with a 223/5.56.

Some of them have done it with a 20" barrel in an AR15, others in an AR15 "Space Gun" or a bolt rifle shooting F class.

Sorry I do not know what powder they used with what bullet, but I do know that they used the following bullets...

The JKL 75 and 80 gr VLD's, and the 80gr Bergers and Sierras.

They seated the bullets out long, ie they would not go into the magazine of the rifle.

I also know some used Varget, RL 15, 4895, and 748.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote