Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on barrel break in
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just bought a new Winchester model 70 limited edition
Can you guys give me the drill on break in?

Posts: 744 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't do a formal break in on any of my hunting or BR rifles. I let my barrel tell me.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The theory is that "breaking in" smooths the surface in the bore and reduces fouling down the road.

Three shot group and bronze brush / solvent, patches on a jag, for about 50 rds.

Then five shot groups and bronze brush / patches on a jag for the next 50 to 100 rds.

But this is intuitive, no basis in anything I've read except for other people's theories.

I'm shooting five shot groups and running a brush and/or patches anyway. Letting the barrel cool, while working off a bench. Rem. 700 P in 308 Win.

At 100 yds it's shooting at about 0.5 MOA -- 165 gr BT and 40 gr. H-4895. Lapua brass.

Jewell trigger set at about 6 oz, and Leupold Mark 4, 50mm Mil Dot, 20x.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your barrel starts wearing from the first shot. I choose not to do that breakin method. I have very few factory rifles.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Silver, I am not sure that break in methods will make much difference in a factory barrel. Just clean it often as it is reasonable to expect more copper fouling in a new barrel.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sure the barrel wears from the first shot. But it wears from SHOOTING, not from cleaning.

Three shots, brush and patches . . .

Five shots, brush and patches . . .

Unless you're not really bench shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, kinda from the school of shoot about 20, clean, shoot some more. Never have owned pure terget guns
Thanks

Posts: 744 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Ladd, barrels are worn from cleaning and powder blast and heat to the throat, not the bullet. Check the latest American Rifleman.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Mr Ladd, barrels are worn from cleaning and powder blast and heat to the throat, not the bullet. Check the latest American Rifleman.
Butch

No shit? Golly gee . . .