THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    nominal or long barrel for tr/f class .308

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

nominal or long barrel for tr/f class .308
 Login/Join

posted
new to longer range rifle shooting and want advice on purchase of remi 700 sps varmint or tikka varmint both for a lefty so options limited here in uk.Any and all practsed and tried advise more than welcome all the best a fellow shooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends how serious you want to get. Doesn't Savage make a lefty?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 PSS (police sharp shooter) comes with a 26" bbl. and in .223 Rem. .308 Win. and .300 Win. Mag.

This seems to have been displaced by the SPS Tactical -- which is a 20" bbl. I vaguely recall some discussion somewhere (on the Remington site) about the shorter barrel being designed for "urban tactical engagements" -- better able to be used in tight spaces.

I have a PSS, 26" bbl. .308 Win. and installed (factory tech. gunsmith) a Jewell varmint trigger -- set down to 4 oz. although it will adjust down to 1.5 oz.

Leupold Mark 4 scope, 6x -- 22x 50mm w/ 80 mm lens hood. Mil-dot.

I do hand loads, nothing exotic. (I don't shave the necks -- although I have a Sinclair shaver, need a .30 cal. mandrel.)

We otherwise follow the protocol on Varmint Al's Reloading Page:

http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm

Fire form and neck size the brass.

Square up the primer pockets, de-burr the flash holes. Trim cases to uniform length and de-burr, polish the case mouth.

I'm running Hodgdon 4895 and 165 gr. BT bullets. We're still "tweaking" the specs.

MOA is easy. We're going for 0.5 MOA or less.

But I'm not shooting competition, just out in the desert, seeing how far down range I can get.

I shoot off a Caldwell Rock bench rest, only I use a larger, bunny ear suede bag.

I try not to count, but we're thinking about $3,500 into the setup, USD.

If you're strictly shooting bench, I'd opt for a right hand rig. You're single loading rounds anyway, not like you're in a fire-fight or need for speed. Jewell trigger is set up for right hand (safety lever on the right). Parts and resale are all easier to do on a right hand rig.

posted Hide Post
Thanks guy,s for the posts,as said all info gratefully recieved.At the moment seem to be moving towards the tikka because it as a drop box mag and probably want to use same rifle for McQueens time comp shoots.Already own a tikka in 6.5x55 Swedish and performs very well out to 500yds.But from all the chat .308and heavier and bigger seem to be thinking.Any definitive comparison between 600mm tikka barrel and the 26" remi would be very helpfull. All the best and good shooting what ever your disipline target,game or varmint.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the BC on those 6.5mm bullets. There , IMHO, ain't no flies on the 6.5x55 for long range shooting.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have an accurate 6.5x55 then the 140 Berger VLDs should be extremely good out to as far as F class shoots!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy,s the die is cast just ordered a Tikka in .308w and waiting for the paper work back from the firearms licensing dept.Chatted to some custom rifle builders at a recent arms show/fair and the general feeling seemed to be the difference between the tikka and remi in barrel length was the longer barrel gave more time for cosistant powder burn for hotter loads over longer ranges.Most seemed to opt for the 155 grain or 168 grain bullet heads.At moment shooting 120 grain sierra match hpbt through the 6.5x55 tikka and getting good results. The Berger VLDs tend to be alot more expensive over here and at moment as more of a personel pleasure shooter than a comp bunny the extra cost not seem warranted.Thanks again guy,s any coments of a helpful nature, warmly accepted,good shooting and takecare.