Find
Notify
Tools

22 Dasher or 22 BR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted
I have a 26" SS barrel 1:14" twist in 22-250, that has done 1400 rounds and would like to re chamber it to to 22 Dasher or 22 BR as I hear that they are not so hard on barrels. Which one would be best and most accurate using 55gr to 70gr projectiles to shoot targets and varmints over 300 to 400 yards.
I have read that they can compete with the 22-250 in the velocity department without the harsh side effects on the barrel, is this true. Can anyone quote any reloading figures and barrel life stats. I have already been to the 6mmBR.com site.
Which ADI powder should I use, is any one better than the others.

Thanks for the help or advice.

If a sportsman true you'd be
Listen careefully to me........., Never, never let your gun Pointed be at anyone, That it may unloaded be Matters not the least to me. When a hedge of fence you cross Though of time it cause a loss From your gun the cartridge take For the greater safety sake. If between you and a neighbour's gun Bird shall fly or beast may run Let this rule be thine "Follow not accross the line." Stops and beaters often unseen Lurk behind some Leafy screen. Calm and steady always be "Never shoot where you can't see."
You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think of this:
"All the game ever bred Won't repay one man dead."

Posts: 42 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6XCVE: I have a pair of Varmint/Target Rifles in caliber 22 Remington Bench Rest.
I am simply thrilled with both of them. I have used them quite a bit for Varminting in Colony Varmint situations and they are superb performers.
My 22 BR Rifles are both very easy on brass and apparently on both my bores to date.
They are both also VERY accurate Rifles.
By the way they are Remington 40X-BR Models.
I highly recommend the 22 Remington Bench Rest cartridge for Varminting and accuracy acquisition.
But - I am not sure I can recommend you spending the money to smith (re-chamber) your present Rifle from 22-250 to 22 Remington Bench Rest?
True, with a custom reamer and a very competent Riflesmith CAREFULLY re-chambering your present Rifle it may add some life and some accuracy to it.
Its up to you - in that regard.
I also have no experience firsthand with the 22 Dasher.
Its been a few days since your initial post inquiry so I thought I would recount my happiness with the 22 BR for you.
Best of luck with whichever you choose to go with.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6XCVE,
If you're concerned with barrel wear, why not just throttle it back some?
A 1-14" twist barrel isn't going to stabilize anything much over 55grs.
With 1,400 rounds I think it would be a waste of money to rechamber plus the fact it will have to be set back a bunch to make it work with the cartridges you mentioned which might result in some unsightly gaps in the barrel channel inletting depending on the contour.
If it was me, i'd go ahead and wear it out and then install a barrel with the proper twist and chamber for your intended purposes.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted Hide Post
Hi VarmintGuy.
Thanks a heap for the advice and recounting your happy experience on how your .22BR's have gone.(Makes me want to get one right now)
I will be seeking advice from my Gunsmith in regard to how worn my barrel is at present. He has cautioned me about the barrel being too far gone to bother about re chambering for the .22BR and I will rely on his opinion, but at the moment, financially it may be the best option to set up for the new round. If I need to get a new barrel then I will just wait a while(as difficult as that will be)and wait for a better time to take on this project.
Thanks,
6XCVE

Posts: 42 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted Hide Post
Hi Stepchild,
You are correct in the wise advice that you gave to slow it down a bit, but unfortunately the barrel is surplus and being a person on a shoe string budget I am always on the lookout to save money while still enjoying this excelent hobby.
Part of your advice has made me think, to set up on this barrel, if my gunsmith says it's possible and then get serious with the next barrel, after wearing this one out.
Thanks,
6XCVE