THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    Best weight .224 bullets and powder for F Class 300 Yard

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best weight .224 bullets and powder for F Class 300 Yard
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
What are your opines on the best weight bullet for this event? Rifle will be a Savage Model 12, 26" barrel, 1:9 twist. My son-in-law wants to try 300 yard F Class.

Thank you in advance.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Given that it has a 1/9 twist, your best success at 300 probably would be with 68/69 grain match bullets of any reputable variety (US makers, or Lapua, not knock-off folks like prvi or armscor).

You can push a 68 grain bullet at around 3000 f/s, but accuracy is the most important quality. wind at 300 is not really an issue, maybe a minute or two in 10+ full value wind.

<Andrew cempa>
posted
oops, assumption was a 223....

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It is a 223 Remington. Thanks for your information.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Rusty, 69 Sierra MatchKing and 23.1 grains of VV 135, velocity chronographed at 2725 ft/secs F205M, Winchester brass 2.255 COL... Amazing, absolutely amazing from my 1 in 9 Colt Hbar Elite 24".

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the previous post but there are a lot of good bullets in this weight class. Hornady is also readily available. Even 55gr. bullets should shoot well enough at 300 yards from a 1 in 9 twist to be competitive at that range.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
70gr Berger VLD works great. As well as the 69smk, BC is better in the vld. Ive heard some 1-9s good threw Nosler77custom comps! But the 69smks with 25gr of varget smoke! As well as the 70 vld! good luck.

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote