New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck turning?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those that have tight neck chambering of their cartridges or those that practice neck turning for custom chambering of the barrel,
do you neck turned the entire neck or half of the neck or what?

reasons why I asked is because I noticed that Redding custom bushing for the competition neck dies only size 3/8 of the neck. In case if it matter's, I planned on neck turning my virgin Norma brass for a 7mm Remington Magnum with .010 neck thickness before sending off dummy rounds to a gunsmith for custom chambering of the barrel, by the way, the gunsmith is Greg Tannel.

Thanks for responding.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The entire neck should be turned.

Why don't you just tell the gunsmith you want a tight benchrest chamber and then turn your necks to fit the chamber rather than having a chamber cut to fit your necks?

Generally when a cutter is set up to turn necks, it's set so that most of the necks won't be turned all the way around though some of them will be. In other words, the way most people do it, there is still going to be at least a little lack of concentricity in the neck. It makes more sense to just cut a small custom chamber rather than trying to cut a small chamber based on a case that's not going to be entirely precise anyway.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Norseman, You don't need to send any dummy cartridges to Greg Tannel. Just call him and discuss your requirements with him and he will build you exactly what you need as opposed to what you want. .010 is a little skinny unless you're building a BR rifle or a really serious varmint rifle.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim White,

I received a email from Greg Tannel last week stating that he could custom chamber a barrel with .001 increasement from .304 to .317.

So Jim White,
do you agree with Grumulkin that the entire neck should be turned in which I assumed that it means turned from the case mouth to the top of the shoulder?

I know I should direct these questions to Greg Tannel, but he's not open on the weekends, so I have all this free time this weekend and figure there something I could with respect to brass preparation and determining O.A.L and C.O.A.L.

Thanks for responding.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Jim White,

I received a email from Greg Tannel last week stating that he could custom chamber a barrel with .001 increasement from .304 to .317.

So Jim White,
do you agree with Grumulkin that the entire neck should be turned in which I assumed that it means turned from the case mouth to the top of the shoulder?

I know I should direct these questions to Greg Tannel, but he's not open on the weekends, so I have all this free time this weekend and figure there something I could with respect to brass preparation and determining O.A.L and C.O.A.L.

Thanks for responding.

Norseman, Yes I agree with Grumulkin that the entire neck be turned if you're going to neck turn at all. For a 7mm magnum I definitely would not specify a neck so tight that I had to neck turn. If you're getting into long range target work thats one thing but for a hunting rifle I would discuss it with Greg and I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that he will recommend a minimum spec chamber so that all you need to do is clean up the necks as opposed to turning them to a specific diameter. Greg will build you a supremely accurate rifle and you won't find it necessary to cut your necks down to ultra thin dimensions to achieve your goals. Trust your gunsmith, you have hired one of the best. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote