Find
Notify
Tools

Caldwell Rock Br
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been toying with making improvements to my Caldwell Rock Br
Added some hardware to mine to take some of the movement out of it. Is there anyone that's done the same?

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Springs under the thumb screws to take out the play. works wonders.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may sound snotty (not purposely) but sometimes the truth does---I jacked my rifle up--took out everything labeled Caldwell --and slid a new modified Sinclair front rest under it--at the same time changing to a Protektor rear and an Edgewood front bag. The difference was significant.

I do still use my Caldwell rock and etc... for heavy recoiling rifles like the Win mod 70 in .30-06 that I shoot occasionally. Calwell makes some really excellent products, but they are not really designed for the truly obsessed BR shooter...........

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your Caldwell base is as good as anybodies. You need to buy a quality top for it.
Butch
www.shadetreeea.com

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Your Caldwell base is as good as anybodies. You need to buy a quality top for it.
Butch
www.shadetreeea.com

DITTO that also.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine, not doing competition. But we replaced the nylon bag w/ a suede bunny ear that is larger, firmer.

I don't see any movement so long as everything is cinched down tight. I'm shooting a Rem. 700 PSS in .308 Win. off this rig, also a Win. 70 Stainless Classic in 30-06 Spfd. I have two Ruger #1 -- 45-70 Govt. and .458 Win. Mag.

I'm not seeing any wear and tear on the Caldwell Rock. But then again, everything is cinched down tight when I'm firing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to sound like I am running Caldwell products down--they are very good for their intended market--which is not BR shooters or at least not the serious BR shooters, long ranger varminters, and experimenters. The "rock" base may be as stable as any base, but it is way too tall for those of us shooting on terraced ranges and for those wanting to be able to quickly shoot various ranges off the same rest. The metals are soft on Caldwell parts, the levels leak, the bags are not stitched with durable thread and the sides are too soft.

The threading may rot here in our wet climate faster than in some others, but I can't see a reason for the other problems. I see a lot of folks at a local club using the Lead Sled and they love it--they don't love the bags when they start leaking sand. I have had of their 3 bags of different shapes fall apart here and will not use another. I have heard cursing down the line from others people experiencing the same thing. I don't shoot any real heavy loads, but the sled guys who were leaking do. I've let The maker/holding company know, since I used to like Caldwell products a lot. Maybe the "new" owners will bring the brand back to the level of excellence it once enjoyed.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did someone really use the words M70 in 30-06 and the words heavy recoil in the same paragraph?

No offense intended, but you need to shoot my 470NE Searcy Double Rifle or 550 Gibbs boltgun so you can properly define "Recoil".

Rich

PS: you want a real quality rest? Check out the units Dick Miller builds.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
I think you will find out Dick quit in 2006. He made one piece rest that are only legal in some Rim Fire competition.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually avoid trashing any product on this, and other, sites. I have to make an exception in this case. I got a Caldwell Rock BR rest for a customer yesterday. He asked me to put it together for him. I'm very unimpressed with the quality of the parts and the hardware. Chinese junk!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of the Caldwell rests. They worked ok, but tolerances were a little loose.

Couple of years ago I ordered two Cowan rests and it took about 18 months for them to come in. Cowan is a teacher in Pa who builds them in his spare time and uses the profits to help fund the schools rifle program (or something to that effect). Rests were about $235 each. If they were being sold by anyone else the price would easily exceed $500.
Google them and do a search, supreme rests and an outstanding buy.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/...ghlight=cowan&page=2

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone is looking for a quality rest, I have 2 very slightly used Bald Eagle rests with windage tops and bags- a good customer was in a car accident and has decided that he no longer needs them. Neither rest has been used for 200 rounds.
www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much?

Butch
www.shadetreeea.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch, I listed them in the classifieds along with the Bald Eagle bags for $350 + freight

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote