New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is This Forum Dead?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Age requires me to dispose of guns and equipment now rather than leave it to be sent to the junk yard when I'm gone. To that end I have a benchrest 6BR rifle and all the equipment to load at the range (I mean EVERYTHING).

Looking for advice and/or suggestions on how to accomplish this. Not out to make money, only ensure this collection of equipment goes to someone wanting to use, or at least, try out benchrest shooting. Pennies on the dollar is acceptable.

Any ideas?

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1058 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Michael,
I've had the same thoughts. I'm in my late 60's & can see this coming. I've informed my kids they are to indicate which firearms they want, a couple will go to select nephews & grandkids. But there are a few tight neck long range prairie dog rifles and bench guns that wouldn't work for them. The pool of young folks that would understand the loading, case prep, and danger signs of high intensity pasture rat removal devices is very very small.

My idea is to basically camp out at the public and private ranges & watch for a younger family man who can't afford both the family & higher end specialty guns. After I'm satisfied he/she has the right temperament and maturity to be able to appreciate, treasure and most importantly use what I've got, I'm just going to give it to him/her along with an arbor press, dies and binder with all loading data with his/her word of honor they will never sell it but could of course rebarrel or modify it once the tube is shot out. Your mention of selling to them at pennies on the dollar seems to parallel my thoughts.

This would require several "accidental" meetings to get to know the character of the intended and make sure it's a good fit.

After the gifting was done, I'd have to mentor for a bit. There's no more Precision Shooting type magazines to read up on bench techniques for loading & shooting. The internet is really good at some of this, but a beginner has no idea what is good & what is a crock of BS.

I know when my family was young, there was just no extra money for such things. My only CF rifle was my .270 with a 3-9x Weaver which served as my prairie dog, coyote, deer rifle.
Al

Hunter Safety Instructer
NRA Endowment member
Pistol Distinguished #1298

Posts: 2 | Location: ND | Registered: 13 March 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree. problem is, once you give it away, it is out of your control FOREVER. Reminds me of the re-gifting situation, where some people resent their gift being re-gifted. They don't seem to understand that a gift then belongs to the receiver to do with as they please. Sorry, just an old gripe from an older guy than you, Smiler

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1058 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They don't seem to understand that a gift then belongs to the receiver to do with as they please. Sorry, just an old gripe from an older guy than y

I have loaned a couple till I die.

The deal is here is a firearm you store/use it until I am dead then it is yours.

In the mean time if I want it back. I come and ask for it you give it back.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old barber (deer hunter supreme) once told me: "I'll lend you advice and maybe my taxidermy books, but I do not lend out my wife, my money, OR my guns!"

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran