Find
Notify
Tools

6,5-.284 versus .284 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted
The 6,5-.284 has become the most popular 1000 yard cartridge lately. I have shot it at long ranges and know what it will do. But, how about its daddy, the original .284 Winchester? I know that the original reamers have to short bree-bore for the long bullets, but have anybody made a long range rig out of a tuned up .284? I can not see why it should not be as good?

Thanks,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bent:
With the advent of the 175 Sierra and the Berger 180, the 284 is a very good LR target gun. I've done 8 or 9 of them so far. Free bore needs to be .245 for the Sierras and .020 longer for the Bergers. Im using 1.5 leade angle on the Sierras and 2.0 on the Bergers. Expect 2850 as a max velocity. 2900 is possible, but at the very high end. Primer pockets begin to blow at that pressure. Zeros at 1000 for the two bullets are virtually the same.

Alan Warner

Warner-Tool.com

Posts: 29 | Location: NH | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Alan!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Bent,
I assume you know of Alan, but if not, he is a very talented and creative producer of firearm products. His sights are well respected all over the world and own one myself.

Glad to see you asked the question about the 284 Win. for often wondered why it was not used more than you see because it is an excellent cartridge just as it came from the factory. (That is once the throat issue solved as Alan pointed out. ) Still shooting the "old and true" 308 in Palma configuration, but will probably build me another 1000 yard rifle and it will be in the 284 Win. caliber. Again, thanks for asking and getting a response from Mr. Alan Warner.

Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it's good to see Warner Tool posting here and other gunsmiths as well.

The fad with some on our team is now the 115 gr 6mm bullet in a fast twist tube. Some use a 243 reamer cut far enough in to hold a 22-250 case.

One rifle here in 260 Rem does well.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all responds! the 6,5x55 is what I use at the moment. It is very accurate, but lacks the speed to make it perform in wind like the 6,5-.284 does. 6,5x55 AI is also a hot alternative, but since the barrel is wearing out, I might as well look at other bore diameters.
Are there special reamers made for a long-throated .284's, or will I have to ream the throat separately?

Thanks,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

posted Hide Post
Bent:
I'm working up a 7 using 270 WSM brass necked up with a rebated rim to fit my 308 sized bolt faces.( Can you say cheap Yankee?)

The body is reduced by .0025 to accomodate the brass. What I'm looking to do is take advantage of the BC of the 175 Sierra and Berger 180 @ 3000. This round should handle that without breaking a sweat. Busmans Holiday and all that, My own stuff takes a back seat to my customers jobs. I'm sure I'll show uo at a match with a very untested gun.

Alan

PS: Everyone trying the 115 and soon to be anounced 120 Sierra 6mm can stick them where the sun does not shine. JMHO

Alan

PSS:
The USA F Class Team has accepted with great pleasure a sponsorship for the 09 F Class Word Championship at Bisley from Berger Bullets.

Thank you Eric Stecker. We will Make you proud.

Posts: 29 | Location: NH | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Alan,

Sounds neat! At least in a single shot rifle!
I guess the regular .284 will do the trick for me.
Do you, or anybody else, have any experiences with the 7mmRemMag in a long range rig?

Thanks,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just getting interested in long range again after 40 yrs. my gunsmith recommended as an entry level the rem PSS in 7mmMag@$550-600&175Sierra.got the gun,mounting 8.5-25 leupy&will let y'all know.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote