Find
Notify
Tools

Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted
Well folks, the time of new brass has come for my 308 win. Lapua is what I have been using but I have heard that the Norma is held to better tolerance standards. Which is better? Is there another brand that is even more consistent? bewildered

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
I don't know what standards Norma brass is held to but LAPUA makes better brass IMHO.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the well known long range shooters are using Lapua unless they need the extra capacity of the Winchesters. Most use the Lapua "as is" but weigh sort the Winchester and then prep it. The last Lapua brass I bought (1,000 pieces) were all within 2 grains weight range. I haven't used the Norma so I won't comment on those.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two grains or two grams, clowdis? Two grains is 1/3500 of a pound. That's holding a pretty good tolerance for something like brass. I'm not saying it didn't happen. I am interested in if it really was that accurate...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
I was hoping that the tolerances would be a little tighter than a two grain spread. The reviews on Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=371520

are better for the Norma brass and I am wondering why.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stick with the Lapua and yes it does hold tolerances to grains . Very little if any prep is necessary for Lapua . I don't use Norma any more Winchester is Junk least wise 2003 -05 batches were for me .

What ever Lapua is doing with their brass is working .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have noticed greater batch differences in the Lapua brass purchases I have made. I find uniformity of weigth and accompanying performance on the Norma brass I have purchased. My experience is with purchasing batches of 500 several times.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 rifles in 223Rem and use Lapua and Nosler (Nosler for one and Lapua for the other so I don't mix up the fireformed cases). Both brands give good results and I have reloaded them several times and never had to full length resize yet. I do sort them by weight though. I used Norma brass (243W) for ages and they performed well too. I would suggest trying any of the three but would not go back to using other manufacturer's brass.

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
What about Black Hills Match brass.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I've become addicted to Lapua as the target results and the case life are impressive.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K9 Bandit
posted Hide Post
Lapua is definitely the best brass money can buy.

"capturing bin Laden is not a top priority use of American resources"
Bush, September 06

"Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be here somewhere."
"Maybe under here?"
Bush, March 04

Posts: 1025 | Location: Jacksonville | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Further to my earlier post, I always checkthe length of the both my Lapua and Nosler .223Rem cases and trim them to length for consistancy. This weekend I was reloading and found a second Nosler case with a spit neck. I have never had the problem with Lapua. 2 Nosler cases out of fifty probably isn't so bad but considering none, so far from 100 Lapua cases makes be wonder. Any comments?

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote