Find
Notify
Tools

Square box on targets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
What is the purpose of the square box on bullseye type targets? 4 corners for Load development? More precise aiming point? I've just never heard anyone say why they are there? Target

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a benchrest type target. You aim at a corner of the square, with a Weaver 36X crosshair reticule scope this gives a much more precise aiming point than shooting for the center of a round circle. Some scopes have been bumped even more. The POI is somewhere other than the POA so as not to obscure it with bullet holes. Perhaps the circles are for group shooting?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a way to "square" the cross hairs on a corner. Use a couple 3-shot groups to fine tune, then go for the middle.

I make 5-square targets using quarter-inch square grid paper. Draw lines every 1" left to right, and down to up. In the exact center, fill a 1/2 to1" square. Go up 4" and to the right 2". Put another square. Down 4" and add a second. To the left 4" and make a 3rd. UP 4" and make the 4th. When you are done. You can use the center to final center the scope. The do clicks up and right to what should be the top right square. Shoot a group. Ditto down your required clicks down and shoot again. Then just left, shoot a group, then up and shoot a 4th group. Then, click right and down the indicated number of clicks and see if all 5 of your groups are centered in the boxes. That says your scope click values are accurate.

Neat, huh?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That target was used many years ago and I have it on good authority that the square was used because it was easier to see with the older scopes even though they had fairly high magnification. Take that for what it is worth.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's still being used, isn't it?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is called the aiming square and it is still on all our official BR targets.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I heard the original poster say it was a "bullseye" target!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think I was refering to the bullseye on the target in addition to the aiming square.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got the link to open. It is a BR target.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard about it in PS about summer of 1988.
Twofold use, checking clicks, and using the square to "square up" the scope to stick the shots inside the square.

It's neat. It works.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For benchrest shooters, the square is an anachronism from the days before the advent of 36+ power scopes. I still use it for shooting with lower power scopes because it easier to see than the mothball (especially, with 53 year-old eyes).
Dabney

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're just a kid!
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have sock almost as old as your are!

Thanks for the great information, guys!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kid or not--Worth has told the truth--and the square is NOT used on all official BR targets--FYI there is a BR discipline that is called SCORE shooting and it has no obsolete square on it....................but to be serious--when the mirage is really bad--especially at 600 yards or more--that square can be the only thing you see......................

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
on the OTHER hand, the round bullseye is used for shooting scores, so that everyone can shoot a perfect score. Then you can sort them out by "X-count". Much less precise. When you shoot the square, they measure the group to four decimal places. They also have to have a "backer" to do so, and they are expensive.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot mainly group scoring--however I must give a nod to my mentor and acknowledge that score shooting is harder. In group you mostly wait for your condition and shoot 5 to 10 shots as fast as you can at the same bull--or mothball in an alloted time. --hence the need for a moving backer.

In score you shoot 5 rounds at 5 completely separate targets in an alloted time. This is a more difficult thing to do in serious competition, and mainly with more stringent rules regarding stocks and scopes. My old teacher used to wish he had a dollar for every group shooter that thought he'd tear up the score boys and went back to group with his tail between his legs.
This does not include Jackie S. Smiler Myself-- I am equally mediocre at either disicpline...........

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried score shooting but shooting 25 shots in a .250 of an inch isnt no cakewalk.