New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Powder?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Posted in the Reloading section first, then decided this is probably a better place to ask this question.

Sorry.

I've decided to see just what my Savage with it's 1 in 9 twist rate will do at 500 yards (thats how long my range is).

I have H335, BL(C)-2, H4198, Reloader 10X, Benchmark and Varget on hand. All are capable of starting a 69 grainer around or above 2,900 fps. Which one is most likely to give me the best accuracy with the 69 grain MK that Sierra recommended?

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And the cartridge would be........

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume fromm the 69 grain bullet that this is a 223. My two most accurate loads with the SMK are with Varget and WW748. Both around 24.5 grains as I recollect, but work up.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
And the cartridge would be........

Duh! My bad. .223

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
More and more I am becoming a Varget fan

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last month I used Varget and Hornady 68gr bullets in a Savage 10fp to knock over 6 and 8 in. plates at 500m

That was the first time I used my Leupold 6.5 X 20 w/ the varmint hunter reticle at 200m, 300, 385,and 500m no more knob twirling . Reticle lines worked out pretty well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Doctor D,

I'd appreciate it if you could post your results as I have a 223Rem Savage Long Range precsion Varminter with 1 in 7 twist and am developing loads for 69grn SMK, 77grn NCC and SMK 80grn.

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote