New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enough glass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would a 12X scope be powerful enough to shoot at a five-inch target spot at 500 yards and have any hopes to hit it reliably? My gun shoots just under half-minute if I'm on the stick. Thanks.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer, but why 5"? That's about the size of a clay bird. I suspect that the crosshairs unless fine, would make bisecting the target rather difficult. Last time, I used the 8" shoot n' see targets. just didn't want to get back to the bench and find out I couldn't see the target.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I don't know the answer, but why 5"?
Peter.
That's one MOA at that distance. My gun will shoot one-half MOA if I can see the target through the swimmy heat. I had this same question in the Optics Forum. I have my answer...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beerHey 'brew,,,why not,,if the 'hair will let you see it and you can hold it,,'sides,,lots of old time shooters did it with 10X weavers and x-fine 'hairs.are you truely a "brewer,,,thinkin' on startin' m'self!

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention I have a 25 moa base on my rifle. I doubt this electronic scope is set up to compensate for that. Looking at other solutions now...

Panz: I was a homebrewer about 12 years ago. Then things got hectic at work and I've never gotten back to it. I still have all my equipment and I'm thinking about getting back to it. I'm an extract brewer. I brew only ales. All that malting and mashing is just too much work. I do add hops at various points along the boil. That makes the beer much better than using just hopped extract or adding hop oils. My biggest problem was always sanitation. I'd try my damnedest, but always got that white ring at the top of the beer in the bottle after about three weeks of it conditioning at room temps. Doesn't affect the taste, but it's a sign of weakness in my technique. I will continue to ruminate and cogitate until it's time to formulate, then we're off to the races...

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer Eeker10-50X60!!!!!!yeow,,the mirage at the top end must be murder!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Panzerschmied:
10-50X60!!!!!! Yeow! The mirage at the top end must be murder!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's why we shoot early in the mornin'. It gets nice and cold in the Nevada desert where I live. Is Sightron a good scope?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good spread. As far as mirage, shoot in the morning or learn to read it.
The mirage is the same, whether you are at 10X or 50X.
Make a mirage board and learn to read it.
Get a 12" square piece of 1/2" plywood. Paint it white, both sides. Then mask one side off with one-inch tape, every other inch. Paint that black. You now have a vertical Zebra. The other side, paint two one-inch black stripes an inch apart.

Drill a 1/4 inch hole at the top and hang it on a nail next to your target. Go shoot in the afternoon and watch the stripes.

They shimmer and wave, and then it starts to "boil". The lines begin to break up, and it looks like bubbles rising in a pan of water on the boil.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We shoot 5" steel at 550 yards. I have a Leupold Mark IV, 8-25X with the TMR reticle. On 25 power the 5" target is still pretty small. I would think that 12 power would be insufficient. Also I would stay away from Sightron. The mil dots aren't and the 1/4" clicks aren't.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Good spread. As far as mirage, shoot in the morning or learn to read it. The mirage is the same, whether you are at 10X or 50X.

Make a mirage board and learn to read it. Get a 12" square piece of 1/2" plywood. Paint it white, both sides. Then mask one side off with one-inch tape, every other inch. Paint that black. You now have a vertical Zebra. The other side, paint two one-inch black stripes an inch apart.

Drill a 1/4 inch hole at the top and hang it on a nail next to your target. Go shoot in the afternoon and watch the stripes.

They shimmer and wave, and then it starts to "boil." The lines begin to break up, and it looks like bubbles rising in a pan of water on the boil.

Rich
Very interesting. Never heard of that before. What I usually see is what looks like trying to see through water. 'Member doing that as a kid in the city pool? How I so wanted a scuba mask...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why we shoot early in the mornin'. It gets nice and cold in the Nevada desert where I live. Is Sightron a good scope?[/QUOTE]Hey Home,,what part of the state do you live? I love the desert in the winter,,never spent anytime in Nevada except drive thru,,heard lots of reports of great coyote shootin' our your way.The only time I liked livin' in So Cal ,( I workedin the movie biz) was when I lived in the high desert,,2 1/2 hr. drive each way but I loved the high desert!!MAN I MISS THE WEST!!!All I know about Sightron scopes is that everyone I hear from that has them likes 'em. hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HB,

noted NW bench rest shooter and gunsmith Manley Oakley (Seattle area) showed me that about 1988.
The Oak, at seventy that man could still shoot well enough that you knew at a match you had to beat him if you had any thoughts about winning.
He told me, that at a range with grass, you could learn to read it. When the lines start to break up it looked like bubbles. The bubbles would "boil", then waft away in a bit of breeze. And then, for just a few seconds, you could actually see the target clearly. Shoot fast, and then watch for the next cycle.
Those old guys knew lots of stuff we are just rediscovering these days.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote