New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longevity of Krieger SS barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many rounds can I expect of accurate barrel life of a Krieger SS barrel. Kriger says under FAQ on their webpage that there is no difference in longevity between their CrMo and Stainless steel barrels - both last the same.. But how long barrellife can I expect? Experiences?
Thanks..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long is a river? How deep is the ocean?
It depends on:
1-caliber
2 velocity
3-twist
4-overbore cartridges
5-expectations of accuracy-1/4 MOA or 1 MOA
6- how hot you heat the barrel
7- your cleaning methods
8- many other things that do not come to mind now
My 6PPC bench rifles like about 1000 rounds with either a cut rifle or button rifled barrel before the fine edge of accuracy has gone away. You could probably use it for hunting another 3000-4000 rounds.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
-------- bench rifles like about 1000 rounds with either a cut rifle or button rifled barrel before the fine edge of accuracy has gone away.------
Butch

Some as few as 600 ,some as much as 1500, in my bench guns.

If you are speaking overbore Maxi-Mags for hunting; 5000 would be a guesstimate.

I know of a 30-06 with more than 15,000 rounds that still holds 2 to 3 inches at 100yds.

Depends on what "hunting accuracy" level you demand.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. My demand is 1/2 - 3/4" accuracy at 100 meters. Hope 3000-3500 rounds with a 338 Win Mag is a realistic expectation..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably won't happen except very ocaisionally.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Probably won't happen except very ocaisionally.
Butch

What do you mean - please explain..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo,
It may do that for a while, but after about 1000 rounds the accuracy will deteriorate. You will have to have windflags and a good bench to do it everytime with a new barrel of any manufacture.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6- how hot you heat the barrel
Is by far the most controlable factor, one that if not controled will wash out a throat rapidly. Listen to PaPa he knows what he talking about.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338 Win Mag tends to burn out the throat in the bore. Depends how hot you're loading.

Some set back and rechamber their barrels. My approach is to shoot calibers that don't burn out the barrel -- .308 Win.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got somewhere between 500 to 750 300WSM pops through my stainless Krieger. My best is a .154 and three of five went .285 this past Sunday. And I ain't much of a shot...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote