Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Dakota
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted
Although this cartridge is the smallest in a line of what are essentially hunting cartridges have any of you had any contact or do you have any experience with it as a 1000 yard competition round?

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys.

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have any of you had any contact or do you have any experience with it as a 1000 yard competition round?

You are quite welcome!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
jumpingOK fine killpcthought I may get to horse or bsflag but no such luck...no one wants to play...

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'd play but no experience at 1000. I've only shot out to 600 with .223, 500 with .308, and 500 with .30-06. I'm really trying not to get into long range for now. I'm busy enough with Service Rife.

I'd think anything that holds a minute of angle or better and stays sonic at 1000 yards should have a chance if the shooter is experienced at wind reading. Looking at some of the velocities on some of the 7 mm rounds they might even make 1400 yards.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot long range and for several years a world class shooter, Mitchell Maxbury, shot a Rem. 7mm Mag at 1000yds. Not familiar with your round, but can say the 7mm part sure worked for him. There are some good bullets for that caliber which is a plus.
Not to change subjects on you, but the "hot" one for the past few years is the 6.5x284 round with the 142gr Sierra MK. for long range matches. Just a thought.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
I used a 6mm Ackley, essentially a 6mm/284 or 240 WBY, at Byers,Co. for my first 1000 yd shoot and shot MOA and was pleased for the first shoot.

I guess I may still use it and I also have a Remington 5 R in 308 but the bbl is 24". So I got to looking on the 6mmBR site and was looking at some of the 7mm cartridges and thought, hummmm.

See I have a 7mm Dakota with a light bbl done by Empire Arms and it shoots lights out with a Hornady 162 A-Max. Honest 3200+ fps with that bullet, but getting on the up side of what a guy would want for a BR gun I'm thinking...but maybe not?

I was just looking for thought from some of you that has been on the 1000yard ranges. 7Mag is in that ballpark essentially right under the Dakota.

Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
By the way I'm not thinking of using the light barrel just that I already have the components and wasn't excited about having 7mm WSM brass also if I didn't really need to go there already having the 7MM Dakota. Yet I don't want to have a gun built if the cartridge is going to be to much to be practical. Regards.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'd try a light barrel to see if I liked shooting the mathces just so as not to spend $1300 on a new rifle. Ok, I'd buy a new rifle but the wife won't go for it. Seriously I was going to shoot my .30-06 to try it after getting a load done for it but when I got my new stock I also got a heavy .308 barrel. Service rifle season is starting so it will be later this summer either way.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
The pencil barrel I have would work just fine but not within the time constraints given for the match.