Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on a 22BR
 Login/Join

posted
Will a 1-14 twist stabalize 65gr BB's ? I want to be able to shoot 50 to 65gr bullets.. I will be shooting P-Dogs only..

Thanks...

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
No. 52 and 53 grain bullets are ideally suited to a 14 twist...

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 55 gr. Ballistic Tips in my 14 twist but I'm pounding the hell out of the brass!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I had a 1-12 twist barrel rechambered to .22BR because the 1-14 that I had would not shoot the 60 grainers that accurately.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems like the 1/9 twist is pretty versatile in the .223 rem, so when I built my 22 BR, I went with that. I've had some very nice groups at 200 yards using N-135 and Lapua 69 gr. bullets. Berger 70 gr. VLDs worked pretty well also. The only 65gr. bullets I tried did not work well, but they never worked well in anything for me, so I don't blame the cartridge or twist rate for that.

I have not had a chance to do a lot of experimenting with that particular rifle, but what I have done makes me think that the 22BR is the most finiky of the BR family. I have shot the best groups of all my BR rifles with the 22 BR, but the worst aggs. Where my 6BR or 30BR shoot very consistent decent groups at 200 yards, the 22 BR will vary as much as 3/4 MOA over 5 groups. That would translate to a lot of missed dogs at 200 yards. I will be trying to tame the thing with the use of XBR powder which I have been experimenting with in the 6 BR with great results. I have been told by a couple of other 22BR fans that the XBR was just what the doctor ordered for their guns. We'll see.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote