Find
Notify
Tools

Can you hit a fly at 100 yds?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted
Anyone have a photo of a fly (or other bug) they've left stuck to a target with a bullet? I've heard people claim they can "hit a fly at a hunerd yards" but I'd like proof.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not a big deal with a properly tuned BR gun in good conditions. I wouldn't bet on it any other way.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:

There was a lot of blood shot meat on the flies, so I didn't eat the remains (ok, that's a story, but the shooting and hitting the fly is true.).

You're right... You really need a CNS kill to ensure any salvagable meat at all!

Where is that book on the best shot placement on insects and spiders... I couldn't find it on Amazon.com

Big Grin

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Catamaran, it's not the Speer's that you buy in Kittery Trading Post, but the 42 (should be 42.3 grains ) of IMR 4064! That load is awesome thanks to Sierra.

Yes, hitting a fly can and has been done many times, thought sorry I don't have a picture to PROVE IT. I could however describe the destruction to said target as the splatter around the hole in the paper.

Wink

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first attempt AND verified "fly kill" I observed at 100 yards was done by my lifelong friend Johnny Janda. We were at the Renton, Washington Fish & Game Clubs range. It was pretty well protected from wind as it was a small range in a grove of trees.
The flies would come land on our bright (warm?) targets and slowly walk around or stand there and absorb the heat?
My friend was sighting in his ultra accurate Remington 700 Varminter (with a 24 power Remington 2400 scope?) and he asked me to watch his target as he was going to shoot at a fly!
I snickered at his audacity and got to my spotting scope.
This was one of the big flies - some refer to them as Bull Flies or Blow Flies. They are about 3/8th's of an inch long. Johnny shot and the fly disappeared! I said "Johnny that bullet went exactly where the fly was"! I was still looking at the target when a blood (and goo!) streak began running down the target from the bottom of that bullet hole! It ran down for at least an inch!
We laughed and could hardly contain ourselves til the next ceasefire and we ran down to his target to verify the "harvest"!
Yep it was the fly that left its mark on the target.
Johnny saved that target for many years.
I am guessing the year of that "fly shot" was 1968 or 1969!
I have shot at many flies over the years but there was never any "proof" left on the target that I actually hit one. A number of these shots landed exactly where the fly had been but again I can only speculate that I have hit them.
Long live accurate Rifles!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:
Anyone have a photo of a fly (or other bug) they've left stuck to a target with a bullet? I've heard people claim they can "hit a fly at a hunerd yards" but I'd like proof.

Hitting a fly at 100 yards is no big problem with a properly tuned Benchrest rifle. In fact, for score shooting you are trying to hit a dot in the center of a half inch circle at 100 yards, and the dot is smaller than the head of most pins. For the 25 shot match, if you don't have over 15 X's (dots), then you are not even likely to place, and the winners usually have over 20 X's.

For ties they go to a tiebreaker of "wipeouts", which means that the X (dot) is actually completely obliterated, not just touched.

The target in this photo was shot with a 6PPC. Yes, I have splatted a fly at 100 yards Big Grin.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Catboat, where are you from? I live in Harrison on Long Lake,although I am spending the winter in Florida.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was done by a friend. IIRC, he was practicing smallbore prone with a scope. Saw the opportunity with the fly and took the shot.

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
I can't claim a fly, but 3 grasshoppers have fallen victim to my 220 Swift. Big Grin

Arkansas football will rise again!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Catboat, we have a pretty active B.R. group that shoots in Augusta, Damascotta, and Orrington, as well as St. Johnsberry Vt. as of last year. Drop me a line if interested and we can get you into a match. Really a lot of fun.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:

I love to go to the club and help with the sight in days for deer season. I'd been shooting all day and had my rifles shooting well. I looked through the spotting scope and thought someone had shot my target. Looking a little closer I saw a large fly. The 700vs (308) was on the rests and ready so I thought why not! Of course I couldn't see the hit but when I got back on the target the fly was gone. I guess I should have noticed the left overs in my spotting scope but didn't. At the next cease fire I went down and retrieved this target. Gives a whole new meaning to HUNTING. What would one use as a bait pile?

700 vs sight-in

I can't decide if I shoot to load, or load to shoot! The line between the two is very thin!

Posts: 48 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I shot one year’s ago with my Remington .223 with a varmint barrel. The rifle was capable of .5" groups most of the time but there were the special occasions where I shot .25 with it. While trying to get one group a fly landed on the target and I thought what the heck I fired and when the range was clear my friend went down range. I told him to look at my target he said I missed one shot by an inch or more. I told him to look at the hole. He said what the %uc* were you shooting at. I told him it was a fly. He is my witness but alas I have no picture. I also done it the last time I went to the range with my Remington XR100 .223 Luck or fluke not sure.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Do 12 gauge Sabots qualify? I guess I'll have to
spread some gator poop on my targets and wait for the opportunity. I'll send you the targets in
air tight bags.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
Do 12 gauge Sabots qualify? I guess I'll have to
spread some gator poop on my targets and wait for the opportunity. I'll send you the targets in
air tight bags.

Just post the pictures please!! Eeker

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TR&R in Tacoma, Wa. starts the benchrest season off with a "fly-shoot". Targets have a fly in the center of the target and the shooter shoots for score with legs being worth so much, bodies being worth so much, and heads being worth so much. Yes, there are some very good scores. Don't ask me how they get the flys to stay put.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
TR&R in Tacoma, Wa. starts the benchrest season off with a "fly-shoot". Targets have a fly in the center of the target and the shooter shoots for score with legs being worth so much, bodies being worth so much, and heads being worth so much. Yes, there are some very good scores. Don't ask me how they get the flys to stay put.

pegleg

That is soooo inhumane. I'll bet those guys tie the flies legs with duct tape so they can't get away. Can you imagine the agony that they go through knowing their turn is next. And just how many are gut-shot and left to suffer and die. If they ate the flies after slaughtering them is one thing but to shoot them for "sport" should be outlawed.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It's done very humanely. Standard fly paper adhesive with liquid Valium mixed in. Best damn time a fly ever had, right up to the instanteaneous end!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our range has carpenter bees, and they don't do the roof any good. Every so often, one of them sees a big round 45 caliber hole in the end of a pistol, and there is a nice opportunity to kill them on the wing while they're admiring their new all-steel condominium.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
How about golf balls at 200 yds, with a handgun! We have an upcoming match next weekend at our range. Not exactly box stock as evidenced by the photo below of a 20 lb 6mm PPC of a competitor. I saw this guys 70+ father shoot dum dum suckers at last month's match at 25 and 50 yds using a contender in .22RF and went clean for 20 rounds, the shootoff to decide the winner was at 50 yds shooting at .22LR casings. He won after hitting 2 consecutive cases. These guys are wierd!! LOL, (but GOOD)

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot say I can hit a fly at 100yds, but I shot this target at 500yds Razzer on 3rd July 2005 at the annual Fly Shoot at Diggle Ranges, Manchester, UK.

It was my first attempt at a 500yds comp and I was pretty pleased. There is one shot on the fly and the smallest group on the right was 2.1".

Hopefully, this will post:

Rifle was custom Rem 700, chambered in 6.5x284 with a .291" neck, 142 SMK.

Posts: 136 | Location: England | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I just have to ask, when you ask if I can hit a fly at 100 yards, is the fly open or closed?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Butch says it is no big deal with a proper bench gun and a calm day or a knowledge of wind flags.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
OldElkHunter

That is the best laugh I've had in several days.
Thanks

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was at that fly shoot!I missed it...
MARK

posted Hide Post