Find
Notify
Tools

My best group...30-06 (2nd group also)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted
Took my favorite rifle to the range today to warm up for deer season. It is a Ruger 30-06 model 77 with a tang safety I bought new 30 years ago. It is topped with a Leupold VII 2x7 and has killed numerous whitetails and coyotes. I am just a good old boy hunter and not much of a benchrest shooter, but always put in some time at the range before deer season shooting a couple boxes of factory loads.
My best three shot 100 yard group ever (Federal 165 grain Nosler ballastic tip ammo)...

... sometimes I even surprise myself !
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Nice! So, what did the group after that one look like?

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet he called it good, loaded up and went home. Yes it is a good group.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ghostbird, we are NOT taking anything away from that group, which is "wallet worthy", but, generally when I shoot something like that I try to duplicate it, either with a 5 shot group or, with another 3 shot group, just to make sure it wasn't "statistics". A repeatable group gives one confidence in their equipment.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Knowing myself, I woulda shot another group or two just to ruin the good day!!! Seriously though, I remember way back when I started to get interested in accuracy, I would do everything possible to accurize my factory rifles...tweaking my loads until I had the best combo I could come up with. I shot a number of targets like the one pictured, but it was the exception, not the rule, of course. Most shooters leave it at that, but a few get wrangled into the depths of true competitive accuracy. It really is a lot of fun, just wish more folks would come along for the ride.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Oh, I shot another group off the bench and then I practiced off hand and kneeling about 20 rounds, letting the barrel cool off between rounds. I was practicing for deer season and this was my third trip to the range and will probably be my last trip to the range until this time next year. I will pattern my turkey shotgun before turkey season in my front yard.

...second group off the bench at 100 yds (165 grain Nosler ballastic tip)

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell, but that looks like a 1" group. Still pretty darn good for factory ammo and a presumably stock Ruger! Good shooting. That rifle is ready!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Be interesting to see how it does at 200.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote