THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    7X57 Ackley Improved for 1000 yard shooting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7X57 Ackley Improved for 1000 yard shooting
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have any experience using the 7X57 Ackley Improved in long range precision shooting?

Posts: 2 | Location: Severna Park, MD | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you can maintain supersonic velocity at 1000 yards, it should work fine. Wind, light, heat, cold, rain, etc. all have something to do with it, plus the trigger puller so therefore should work just fine!! Bottom line is it will work OK, not the best, but will work. Can assure you one thing, it will be a lot of fun and great learning expeience in finding out. Good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 7x57 rifle on a Remington SA and a 22" Douglas air gauge barrel. I used Cauterucio 176gr bullets and I don't know the barrel's twist. In El Paso Texas I shot a 5 shot group that measured 2.5" horizontal and 5 " vertical. That combo works in my gun and I was very amazed as I expected the bullets to key hole. Also the powder was H4350 near max.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cauterucio 176gr bullets

Where did you get these from? Which brings up another question: What match grade bullets are available for the 7mm?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
162 Hornady, 168 Sierra, 145 Speer to name a few.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Do you have any experience with any of these?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two popular 7mm 1,000 yd cartridges now and they are the .284 and 7WSM. You don't see many 7 X 57 on the line but if you have a rifle in that caliber and just want to try it then by all means give it a whirl. Bullet choice will depend on barrel twist and I doubt if you'll want much over the 168 grainers in the 7 X 57 and you'll need an 8 or maybe 9 twist for that. If you're going to build, then go with the AI version and try the 175 grain bullets and an 8 twist barrel. Have a good look at the competition bullets from Berger in the VLD versions and you should be competitive. Don't try to over equipment yourself, your scores will be more dependent on how well you hold and how well you read the wind.
Blair Clowdis
2007 US Veterans Team

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! My 7x57 does not seem to shoot the heavier bullets well, so I might just try the Speer 145's.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter; I shoot a 7x57 Ack Imp, the Speer 145 BTHP will do 3000+fps from 24 bbl and is quite accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

These are all AI cartridges, and the 7x57(middle) is an excellent one, it gave me the largest gain in velocity of the 3.