New
Find
Notify
Tools

1000 yd bench rest shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Every winter my club holds a 1000 yd bench rest shoot. The last time I shot it I shot an m1 garand (open sites) with my standard hunting load. I actually got 2 out of 5 on the target.
This year I only have 2 choices of rifles.
1, 20 inch ar 15 with a 75 gr A max
2, 257 roberts vickery improved with a 120 gr
Our conditions are cross winds in both directions and alot of snow.
So in you'r opinion which one would probably get all 5 on target? Or be the better choice?
Each rifle wears a 4.5-14 scope

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, how accurate are they at, say, 200 yards? I don't know about the Roberts vickery, but my 257 R in Ruger Ultralight is not even close to outshooting my Colt HBAR.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ty_falcon:
Every winter my club holds a 1000 yd bench rest shoot. The last time I shot it I shot an m1 garand (open sites) with my standard hunting load. I actually got 2 out of 5 on the target.
This year I only have 2 choices of rifles.
1, 20 inch ar 15 with a 75 gr A max
2, 257 roberts vickery improved with a 120 gr
Our conditions are cross winds in both directions and alot of snow.
So in you'r opinion which one would probably get all 5 on target? Or be the better choice?
Each rifle wears a 4.5-14 scope

You're really up against it! Your 75 Gr. Amax (AR-20"BBL) will be doing the hurky jerky two step out at about 800 yards and any hit would be an accident. Your Roberts VI has a chance if you have the right barrel and load.

Good luck, sounds like more fun than anything else..Smiler

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'd say load some 80's for the AR, but the 1 in 9 barrel won't stabilize it. The 77's run into the same range limitation as the 75's.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally chronographed some 257 improved loads
100 gr sp. 3100 fps 3 ft in front of the muzzle. according to hornady's ballistic table ,these have less than 1/2 the drop as the ar 15 loads. So thanks for the replies.Next month I'll let you know how I did with the 257 V improved.

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Well? How about an after action report. Even if you don't give one I hope it was a good time.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote