Find
Notify
Tools

soft seating
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
does or has anyone used this method for seating.
What can you tell me about it.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave

I guess a lot depends on what the user meant when he said "soft seating". It can mean seating the bullet in the case so that the ogive just touches the rifleing (as compared with jamming into the lands)or it can mean neck sizing the case just enough to hold the bullet in place. I'm sure there are other meanings, but as far as those two, the answer is yes, they are pretty much standard methods used by benchrest shooters. Every shooter has his own idea of what the best seating/neck tension is. For many, like me, it can change every other match. Roll Eyes

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ray.
I think It means to seat the bullet long with a given ammount of tension. and when the round is chambered the bullet is seated touching the lands?
i wonder if you were to use this method, if it would help the bullet to be streighter as it enters into the rifling ?
what are some of you ideas on seating and what have you tried that works for you?
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave

That is a method that many benchrest shooters use. The theory is that a bullet seated to touch or be jammed into the rifleing is straighter than one that has to jump from the case to the rifleing. In order to seat the bullet so that it touches the rifleing it is necessary to take precise measurements to know what that length is. Then, as the throat wears it is necessary to continually re-measure and make adjustments to the length. By using only a moderate amount of neck tension and seating the bullet long you let the rifleing act as a bullet seater and you eliminate the need for the constant measureing and adjusting of seating depth. Now, which method is best? You pays your money and you take your choice. Benchrest shooters use all methods of bullet seating/neck tension and if their method works, that is the best one for them. It is best to try different seating depths as the last step in developing a load. Seat the bullets long (.005 to .010") to start with and shoot a group. Then go deeper say .005" at a time until you are .015" to .020" off the lands. Your rifle will tell you which is best. Some bullets like to be seated long and some like to jump. Some bullets don't seem to care. Good luck

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took it to mean, after my gunsmith dopeslapped me around for a while because I did it, that the bullet is not crimped if it doesn't have a cannelure. Crimping causes the jacket and core to separate. Not done with Sierra MatchKings...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote