New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about 222 Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice. I have a few Model 700 rifles that have been squared and rebarreled with good barrels, but I want to step it up a notch in accuracy. My goal is to build a very accurate varmint rifle in walkaround weight. My longest shots will be at about 250 yards and I won't be shooting at anything bigger than a coyote.

I have a Borden Alpine repeater action on order with the 223 boltface. I'm thinking I want to have a #2 contour barrel chambered in 222 Remington probably done by Hart.

My first question is whether I should ask for a specific neck size. 246, 248, 250, 252, and 253 are available. I have neck sized some brass in the past for another gun I have that has a tight neck. I can't say I like doing it very much, so I think I want a neck that isn't too tight, but not too sloppy. Which size would be best? Or should I just ask for the standard size, whatever that is?

I'm thinking of going with a 1-14 twist in 22". Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .250 Nk reamer that evrything I've ever put in it fit fine. No neck turning required. I have used Fed, Rem and Win brass. I have not used any Lapua. Great choice for walking varminter.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I have a hart barrel with a .250 neck and 99% of Lapua brass will chamber as does Winchester. It also has a 1-14 twist and very accurate with 45 - 53 grain bullets - that is all I have ever tried.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info, guys. BigB, it's funny you just mentioned Lapua brass. I was just on the Midway website trying to decide which brass to get. I was leaning towards Lapua even though it is more expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense, but at that kind of short-range distance, it does not matter. I have yet to see any factory rifles chambered in varmint cartridges that would not hold minute-of-Prairie Dog out to about 300 yards. If you don't need a rangefinder to measure yardage, you are way overkill, IMHO.

Now, if you were building a 22-284 like I have, it might matter. It's a 600+ yard Rockchuck killer.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do have some factory rifles that can shoot a prairie dog sized pattern at 300 yards off the bench, but out in the field, my patterns aren't always as tight. Field conditions cause my patterns to not be quite as tight as off the bench, so if I can get a more accurate gun, my chances of hitting that dog improve. For example, instead of getting 3" patterns at 300 yards in the field, I hope to get that down to 2". That is why I want the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as shooting a rock chuck at 600 yards, I don't think I could ever do that even in perfect conditions with a world class rifle. I could pray and shoot and maybe hit one once in a while, but it would be luck if I actually made a hit. My skills just aren't at that level.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a 22" barrel, I would go woth a #3 taper barrel. You won't notice the extra weight. Stiffer is better. Big Grin

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a 222 Ackley Improved. Yes, I recommend you ask for a specific neck size and plan to neck turn cases. I'm thinking a little faster twist to stabilize a little heavier bullet if wanted.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
I think an understanding of the purpose and function of having a "tight neck" chamber is needed here. As I understand it not only possibly contributes to accuracy, but simplifies the reloading procedure. On the other hand it does complicate getting brass somewhat which having a .222 already contributes to.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you redo your post inorder that I can understand it?
!!!!!
Happy New Year Butch!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same to you Peter, Happy New Year!
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:
As far as shooting a rock chuck at 600 yards, I don't think I could ever do that even in perfect conditions with a world class rifle. I could pray and shoot and maybe hit one once in a while, but it would be luck if I actually made a hit. My skills just aren't at that level.

It's obvious to us internet veterans that you are new to the medium. You haven't learned rule one: NO ONE is less than a world class shot on the 'net. Rule two: When discussing your shooting, using varmint calibers, the minimum standards you confess to is being able to neuter a male prairie dog at 1000 yards EVERY SHOT.

Happy New Year to all!!! wave

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year Charlie! Did you get all your deer thinned out? Josh and I only went 2 times and didn't see much.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We haven't really thinned the deer enough yet. I haven't hunted that much, neither Adam nor I have shot a deer yet, but we've been stacking the hogs up pretty good. I killed a 180 pound boar at dead dark yesterday, good cutters, and Adam killed at least 2 big sows a few days back. One went 260 and the other 210, on 1st and 3rd shot. I suspect he killed another one with his second shot, but it was damn cold and that one was in a thicket, no blood trail, and we were giving them away anyway, so I made the command decision to abandon it. The boy can work that .308 Tikka really quick. He shot 2 a few days before that and I really thought someone was shooting a semi-auto. About 3 weeks back I killed a really big sow, 280. Biggest sow that's been killed on my place and big for a sow anywhere. BTW all the above wts are weighed for those doubters out there.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie has a good set of scales at his place and i sure wouldn't doubt what he sez. His son is a fine young man also.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
That boar last night was black and looked smaller. There were 4 of us standing around, all very familiar with hog wts and we guessed 140, 145 (me), 150, and 165(Adam). Like I said, it weighed 180, so Adam won that round.

He gets his new truck Monday....... Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh and his Dad are headed to OK City to look at a car for him as we speak. Aren't him and Adam the same age?
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno, Adam will be 16 in a few days. Frowner

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh just turned 17. They are on the way back with an MR2 Toyota. He has wanted one since his older brother had one. I had rather he had a pickup.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't wedded to any brand, (he went back and forth between a truck and a car for weeks, but finally, with minimal urging from me Wink , decided that a truck made more sense for now). I told him if he took care of this one, kept his grades up, that we could revist the situation in a couple of years when he settles on a college, although I think that is nearly settled in his mind as UT Austin.

I really thought I could buy a Dodge cheapest but when it all shook out, after being jerked around by Randall Noe Dodge in Terrell (who'd thunk it? Mad), I got him a 2010 Ford Super Cab F150 4x4 medium plain Jane version, not counting TT&L for just under 25K. In some ways, I prefer to do business with Ford anyway, they didn't suck up to the government trough.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NO ONE is less than a world class shot on the 'net. Rule two: When discussing your shooting, using varmint calibers, the minimum standards you confess to is being able to neuter a male prairie dog at 1000 yards EVERY SHOT.

Gatogordo, I hope you don't mind but you forgot to mention the fishtailing 15 mph crosswind!
Happy New year, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
If Josh doesn't get a football or academic scholarship, he will have to go to community college. He did a football camp in Austin this summer and was impressed. 2 years to go, but he is leaning to Florida or USC. It is all on his shoulders.
I do love the 222 though and have some experimental brass without the flash holes drilled and with longer necks.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Watching a few of the bowl games in the last few days, there are LOTS of big name colleges that could have used him kicking instead of what they had.........not to mention a few pro teams could use a good kicker, Dallas comes to mind instantly.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:
I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice. I have a few Model 700 rifles that have been squared and rebarreled with good barrels, but I want to step it up a notch in accuracy. My goal is to build a very accurate varmint rifle in walkaround weight. My longest shots will be at about 250 yards and I won't be shooting at anything bigger than a coyote.

I have a Borden Alpine repeater action on order with the 223 boltface. I'm thinking I want to have a #2 contour barrel chambered in 222 Remington probably done by Hart.

My first question is whether I should ask for a specific neck size. 246, 248, 250, 252, and 253 are available. I have neck sized some brass in the past for another gun I have that has a tight neck. I can't say I like doing it very much, so I think I want a neck that isn't too tight, but not too sloppy. Which size would be best? Or should I just ask for the standard size, whatever that is?

I'm thinking of going with a 1-14 twist in 22". Thanks.

Looks like your thread has been hijacked for a personal conversation pal. Too bad. Frowner

Bob Shaffer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have neck sized some brass in the past for another gun I have that has a tight neck.

Duckboat, I assume you mean "neck turned". It is not much fun, but you only do it once for each piece of brass, and brass life is very long.
There are many elements to accuracy and this is just one of them. Others include barrel quality, chamber quality, straight line bullet seating etc. You would need to get the appropriate size bullet sizing insert for your sizing/depriming die. You will not be loading hundreds of rounds at a time presumably. I don't think anyone can guarantee that getting a tight neck will by itself give you an accuracy improvement. What does Hart say?
FWIW, Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I meant neck turned. I do have all the tools to do it because I had to neck turn some thick brass a while ago for a different gun.

Since I originally started this thread, I have received my Lapua brass. I had heard about the consistency of Lapua brass and it is true. I ran all the brass through a standard full length resizing die. All the necks I tested measured a consistent .247" outside diameter.

After seating a few test cases with some 50 gr V-Max bullets, the outside diameter was .249". Since I bought enough Lapua brass to last the life of the barrel, I'm thinking I should just have the neck sized appropriate for the brass.
It seems the .252 neck size reamer would be a good choice for this brass.

I'm thinking of getting a bushing style neck sizer. My current sizing die squeezes the neck down to .240" before the expander button pushes it back out to .247".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duckboat,
I agree on the no neckturn barrel. I would use a bushing die and size the brass .003 under.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckboat, looks like you have reached your decision. FWIW, my Tooley barrelled Rem 40-X in 222 Rem has a 246 neck. I use a K&M arbor press and Wilson neck and seater dies. Let us know how your new gun shoots!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like your thread has been hijacked for a personal conversation pal. Too bad.

Really, and who made you director of what can and can't be said in a thread? He got his answers and friends talk with each other at the same time, so live with it. Reminds me of the joke about the camel and his rider.........

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
So now you're telling me what can or can't be said in a thread huh?

rotflmo

Bob Shaffer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have reading comprehension problems, do you?

Show me where I said a word about what you can or can't post? In short, you're an idiot who thinks he can tell others what they should or should not post.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
I merely was stating a fact - the thread was hijacked.

You apparently have a problem with factual statements.

I consider it a waste of my time and others here to have to wade thru personal, unrelated posts in a thread. Do what you wish , but that's how I see it.

Thanks for the insult - I didn't insult you or anyone else here - is not one of my goals in life.

Bob Shaffer