Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 in 260 Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
SmilerWould welcome any comments on what I've embarked upon. Having a Ruger #1 in a 260 Remington built - Lilja barrel, #4 contour, 24", 8" twist. Accurizing work, as well - new trigger, forend hanger, etc..

Why? Ummm - well, always wanted a single shot for target shooting and hunting.

Hunting I will limit to deer-size animals. Target shooting, I will yield to the real benchresters but will very much enjoy working up the right loads to shoot sub-1/2" groups.

Part of my thinking is to shoot a relatively heavy-for-caliber bullet that should penetrate well when launched in the 2,700-2,800 fps range. At least, should be OK for well-hit deer up to 250 yds, maybe even 300. Don't have any illusions about reliably clean kills beyond that distance, though. (Made that mistake and don't want to go back!)

Thinking those 140 or 142 grain Sierra Matchking bullets should target shoot well with this twist too.

Anyway, looking for any observations or suggestions. Thanks!

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been shooting a 260 for several years now and love it. For deer I am using the 125gr Nolser partition. If you handload try IMR-4064 and IMR-4350 to see what works well in your rifle. For punching paper, try the 108gr Lapua Scenar. Unbelievaly accurate to 600 yds.

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks, 30-378. Appreciate the comments and will give the Lapua bullets a try.

What twist do you have in your 260?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a 1 in 9 twist with a fairly long throat. OAL at 2.88" lets me just touch the lands.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
SmilerThanks. Sounds like I'm on the right track, with the twist at least....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 rifles chambered in 260 Rem. and 1 chambered in 260 A.I. with 1 in 8 twist Krieger barrels, and every one of them love H4350. The the rifles chambered in standard 260 like somewhere between 41.8 gr. and 42.2 gr. in Rem. brass with a CCI BR-2 primer behind a 142 gr. MatchKing. The 140 gr. Sierra GameKing shots sub .5 MOA as well with the same load @ between 2720 fps to 2750 fps depending on which rilfe I shoot it in. I shoot F Class competition and 90% of shooters that use a 260 with 140 gr. class bullets use that powder/primer/bullet combination. A few use H4831 SC.

With the 260 A.I. I use 43.6 gr. again in Rem. brass and a CCI BR-2 primer behind a 142 gr. Sierra MatchKing for 2866 fps from a 26" Krieger 1 in 9 twist barrel.

Hope this helps some.

PaPa 260.......May I Be Half The Man My Grandsons Think I Am

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Smiler
Thanks, very helpful. I will enjoy working up the loads, and although every barrel is different, the powders and bullets they like have a tendency to be similar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
H T, congrat''s on your new Toy 2 be. great parts comming together to make your dream come true.can''t add much for reloading data, but don''t forget the bonded core bullets from all makers, please post pictures of finished project , happy for you man...jjmp...

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote