Find
Notify
Tools

Interior / exterior ballistics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted
I have been around for a few decades, shot early local bench matches where you shot what you brung. I have always wondered as cartridge and rifle design evolved, this question: All things being equal internally except cartridge case, charge, and ignition source. When the same bullet leaves the same barrel, at the same speed, not deformed, does the source of propulsion internally affect the accuracy?

Simply put, as the bullet enters the realm of exterior ballistics, what does it matter who brung it, as long as it is there? I realize that it can be affected by excapeing gasses as it leaves the muzzle and deformed by acceleration in the barrel. What else?

I am asking because I have pondered the new cartridge cases that have been introduced and are said to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Should I sell my 1949 M70 220 Swift and get a WSSM? (not a chance)

Thank you, feel free to snow this old guy, I'm still alearnin'.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe

I'm another old guy who still shoots benchrest. People will probably just say that us senior citizens always stick together but I agree with you. It's my opinion that a good barrel, a good bullet, and a good shooter are what make a good group. I think that some cartridge cases are easier to work with, for example the PPC, but it's not that they are inherently more accurate. Look at the Hunter Class benchrest cartridges. Most of the really good ones are based on the 308W case and one, the 30 Aardvark, uses 30-30 brass! The PPC, by the way, started life as a shortened 220 Swift.

The new cases that are introduced each year are intended to sell firearms and ammo. And there's nothing wrong with that. The more guys who will be tempted to join our ranks because of that new 229 WSSSSSM Magnum, the better.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cheechako, I reckon I'll keep my 1949 M70 Swift instead of trading it for a plastic WSSM. It should last for at least another 57 years. LOL

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
Joe

The PPC, by the way, started life as a shortened 220 Swift.

Ray

I don't think so. The PPC started off as a Russian assault rifle cartridge. The very first PPC had about 5% nickel content because in those days the Russians did not care about cost and what they found that the nickel content, (and I could be wrong on the percentage) was that their automatic rifles did not jam because of the harder case.

Posts: 4 | Location: London ON Canada | Registered: 20 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Bill, but you'll find that Dr. Lou was shooting a shortened 220 Baby Swift wildcat that he called the Eraser. He was a live varmint shooter not a benchrest shooter. Because of the thick 220 brass it was hard to set the shoulder back and he had a lot of split cases upon fire-forming. One day he happened upon a single box of Sako 220 Russian brass and quickly surmised that he could make his cases much easier from them. That winter he started reading about Benchrest shooting and decided to take his cartridge to Super Shoot II where he met Ferris Pindell. The rest is history. Another shooter, the late Harold Broughton, had a very similar cartridge called the Coyote which was made from shortened and drastically re-formed 30-30 or 32 WS brass. Harold liked wildcats made from the 30-30. The 30 Aardvark was one of his babies. Because of the availibilty of 220 Russian brass, the PPC caught on while others such as the Coyote never did.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote