Find
Notify
Tools

Twist?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
What is the twist on the 308 win in the Remington Varmit specials, 1/10 or 1/12?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 1in12 will work to and including 200grn. bullets. If you are shooting 100-200 yd matches I would use 125grn competition bullets and a 17twist barrel. I doubt anybody shoots over 135 grain bullets.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Butch I'm just getting the taste of it with my 308 VS. If I like it I will build a 30x47L with a 1/17 twist.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just reread your first post. Get the 1-12.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Butch I already have a remington varmit barrel is 308 win. I wanted to know wheather they are 1 in 10 OR 1 in 12. The Remington site doesn't say.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try checking it with a cleaning rod and a tight patch.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try checking it with a cleaning rod and a tight patch

Yep I was being lazy.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man,
I misread your post all the way.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I am guessing 1 in 10 which would be standard for the 308. I would prefer a 12 though.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I called Remy. They said it is 1 in 12. tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
WOW!

tu2

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rem. 700 "Tactical" (PS or PSS), in .308 Win. is 1:12". It's either on the specs for the rifle online, or in the manual, I forget which.

Berger says the way to go, and the Dept. of Defense agrees, is 168 - 172 gr.

Dept. of Defense uses 175 gr. BT.