THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    Can't bed a Tikka T3 ????????????????????

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't bed a Tikka T3 ????????????????????
 Login/Join

posted
A local gunsmith told me it wasn't needed because of where the recoil lug is located and it can't get any better than it already is. Has anyone has there T3 bedded? I can't believe this would be true. Mine is a synthetic stock of course. If you have pics that would be great. Thanks

Posts: 20 | Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
The lug is actually already "bedded" in the stock. It's merely keyed into the action.

Bedding around that interface to stiffen things up would be tricky.

Honestly, I don't know if I'd try it or how much good it would do.

For what it's worth that's my take on it.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My T3 in .300 Win mag had such sloppy bedding that I could push the barrel to one side of the barrel channel and it would stay there. Push it the other way and it would stay there as well. Oddly it shot very well. I bedded it, setting the previously loose lug in the stock permanently with Devcon which eliminated the play between the barreled action and stock. The funny thing is that it shot exactly the same as it did before, under MOA.I had expected some great improvement compared to the original sloppy fit.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sure sounds like he didn''t want to work on it consult another smith,enjoy our forum,
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
I feel all bolt actions benefit from bedding, there are differences in how that bedding may be done though. I've only bedded one Tikka T3, bedding the action and lug at the same time. The lug remains in the stock and action is a perfect no stress fit. The rifle shoots better now and holds POA now that its been bedded properly.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote